I Need Help/advice About Buying A Pda

Hey everyone. I just found out that you are able to use a PDA instead of printing off pages and pages of caches. Im trying to find a PDA to buy that will do just the trick. Im not looking for the top of the line and not the cheapest. Can anyone give me some tips and advice as to what to look for and what kinds are the best for pretty much just geocaching. thanks

Much appreciated

BaloneyCacher

Hey everyone. I just found out that you are able to use a PDA instead of printing off pages and pages of caches. Im trying to find a PDA to buy that will do just the trick. Im not looking for the top of the line and not the cheapest. Can anyone give me some tips and advice as to what to look for and what kinds are the best for pretty much just geocaching. thanks

Much appreciated

BaloneyCacher

eBay, any of the Palm m500 series. :D:D:ninja:

The advice on the inexpensive PDAs is sound. I however sprung for the Palm T/X which is considerably more expensive (around $300). I use it for a lot more than just geocaching. I like it's built in WIFI as free hot spots are all over. On vacation I can easily find restaurants, cofee shops, almost every Library, where free wireless internet access is available. It is also a MP3 player, photo viewer, contact organizer, game player, and a lot more. Cachemate on a $20 PDA or a $300 PDA works the same .... and is GREAT!

My point is to consider just what you will use a PDA for before purchasing. Having a PDA that fits in your pocket and lets you get on the internet to check and reply to your E-mail or go to geocaching.com for updates is really kind of cool. My camera SD card just plugs into the Palm for picture viewing .... which saves the camera batteries. I put my cachemate pdb file on my SD card (into a "cachemate" directory) with the Laptop SD slot, instead of doing a USB hotsync.

I use a Rhino case for my Palm T/X.

:laughing: ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob has the right idea. If you have a use for the PDA beyond just reading cache pages, keep that use in mind. There are a lot of good and relativly inexpensive PDAs out there. You can check cnet.com for reviews and the editers picks. There are good palms and pocket PC's out.

If all you want is one you won't mind dropping into a creek and only for cache pages then the old used palms on eBay are winners all around.

Can anyone give me some tips and advice as to what to look for and what kinds are the best for pretty much just geocaching. thanks

With a Palm, a compatible GPS receiver, and GeoNiche, you can geocache 100% paperlessly.

If you wanted to take the integration even further, you could combine your cellphone with the Palm. There are people who geocache on their phone with GeoNiche, a Bluetooth GPS receiver, and a Treo 650 or 700p. This reduces pocket-clutter by one item and ensures that you always have cache info with you.

Some say that you may not want to risk damaging an expensive Palm while geocaching. Personally, I have been caching for many years with various Palms and I haven't damaged one yet. But then again, I don't fall down much and I secure my palm before crossing a rope bridge over a waterfall.

I have had my Palm M500 for several years and have been using it, with Cachemate installed, for caching for more than a year now. The screen on it is much easier to read in bright sunlight than the color Palms. :P

I have an inexpensive metal case for it that I found at BigLOTS! It has saved the Palm from damage.

A tip: Don't post four topics asking the same question.

Which PDA for Paperless Caching? (Getting Started)

I Need Help/Advice About Buying a PDA (Geocaching Topics)

Which PDA for Paperless Caching? (Geocaching Topics)

I Need Help/Advice About Buying a PDA (GPS Units and Software)

Here's why. You're getting replies in all four of these topics. You're going to get people trying to help you out in all four topics and it's hard to keep track of what's been said and not said across the many topics. Then you get posts like mine and sbell111's in your Getting Started thread telling you to look at your thread in another section to get an answer.

I've used a M125 for the last few years, a very nice machine. I now have 3 of them - two off of eBay (one, plus USB & serial cradles, for just one dollar - I couldn't pass it up). It has an SD card slot.

One thing to consider, if you are doing a lot of wilderness caches, which PDA would you rather drop/soak/loose: $15-30 "oldie" from eBay or that $300 "fancy one"?