Wacky Coordinates

I have had my Magellan Sportrac for about 3 years and have never had a problem. Lately it will act like it is not getting a signal or misread my coordinates by miles. Yesterday, I was within 200ft of a cache and all of a sudden it started reading it as 9 miles away. Anyone know what gives with this? Is the unit playing out. Most of the time it is fairly accurate but it sure has been screwing up over the last couple of weeks.

Thanks

Such observations sometimes occur; I've not figured out why beyond a hypothesis that the almanac is corrupted in some manner.

I'd suggest clearing all memory and re-initializing. Leave it sitting outside with a clear view of the sky for 15 or 20 minutes to assure the download of a fresh almanac.

The government has been using a "jammer" in the past few months for military testing. Several parts of the USA are effected. There was a thread about it. Can not find it, but it seems like the lower half of CA and parts of Arizona, and some part of the east coast were in the test area. Heres one link to it.http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...2605&hl=jamming

Edited by HOGCAT

The government has been using a "jammer" in the past few months for military testing. Several parts of the USA are effected. There was a thread about it. Can not find it, but it seems like the lower half of CA and parts of Arizona, and some part of the east coast were in the test area. Heres one link to it.http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...2605&hl=jamming

I am way away from those sites. I use mine mostly in Ky and Indiana.

Assuming that this is accurate information, what is it's relevance? :lol::lol::lol:

I guess its relevance would be it makes a GPS act up! Here on days they are testing my GPS jumps all over the area and loses satellites left and right. I thought maybe that might have been Docs problem. Guess I was wrong, sorry.

Had something similar happen to me on the 4th in North Central NJ. Had a lock. Then birds went away with no lock, suddenly I was at 17000' altitude and 2 miles from where I was. Cleared unit, restarted, let it sit for a bit then all was OK. Very odd behavior.

Edited by CondorTrax

Same thing happened to me on the 4th. I could be in direct view of the sky and my Garmin Legend would loose all satelites. Kinda upset me enough to want to toss it out the car window.

But if others are having the same problems.. who knows.

I have had my Magellan Sportrac for about 3 years and have never had a problem. Lately it will act like it is not getting a signal or misread my coordinates by miles. Yesterday, I was within 200ft of a cache and all of a sudden it started reading it as 9 miles away. Anyone know what gives with this? Is the unit playing out. Most of the time it is fairly accurate but it sure has been screwing up over the last couple of weeks.

Thanks

A friend had two Magellans and they both started behaving like that, even the one that was less than a year old and covered under the original warranty and an extended warranty. After quite a bit of difficulty, he finally got an RMA number so he could send it in for repair.

The other one, which is a couple years old, is now a "paperweight."

Same thing happened to me on the 4th. I could be in direct view of the sky and my Garmin Legend would loose all satelites. Kinda upset me enough to want to toss it out the car window.

But if others are having the same problems.. who knows.

Ours was doing the same thing Sunday the 4th of June. We are using Garmin 60C in Illinois