[pq] What Do You Do?

RedMatrix

Hello. I have a Pocket PC 2003, Cachemate, and Gsak.

I have created a PQ through the website, gave it a name,

and set it to my parameters.

However, once I submit, it takes me to a page where

I can see the Name and dayd of week, etc.

But that's it. It's been 48 hours and no email.

(It only works when I ask it to do all my Finds)

What am I doing wrong, or overlooking?

Thanks for your help.

Mods: Please move to appr. forum if needed.

Why is there an option to pick the day of the week? Surely if you create a query and you click submit you'd be expecting it there and then. Of course I accept there would be a delay due to processing time.

This feature is useful if you want to automatically run the same query every week. For example, I've got a PQ for all the nearby caches which I haven't found yet. I have the PQ set up to run every Friday, so if I want to cache locally over the weekend, I've always got a current GPX file sitting in my mailbox on Friday.

What am I doing wrong, or overlooking?

After you successfully submit a query, you should see the following message at the top of the page:

Thanks! Your query has been generated. You can run the search on the nearest cache page.

I assume that's the page you are referring to when you say you can see the name and the day of the week.

ThePropers suggestion to make sure you have at least one day of the week selected highlights a common reason that PQ aren't generated, so check that first.

But also make sure you run the query by clicking Preview from the My Pocket Queries page to make sure you've set up a query that actually returns something. A common mistake is to accidentally set up a query for which no caches can possibly be found. For example, if you check box for caches you HAVEN'T found and the box for caches you HAVE found, there query won't return any results.

Okay, I checked (ticked) the day of week when I did it, and it does say it has been generated uner the [Last Generated] columnn, yet nada in the mail.

So, I assume I made a newbie mistake in my parameters. Thanks for your help. I will attempt a new setup.

PS: What is a good parameter for newbies? Should I avoid puzzles and mutli's? etc.

Once you have defined a query it is important to test that it is working.

First design your query and make sure that none of the days of the week are checked, this prevents the query from accidentally running too early. When you submit the query you will see this.

"Thanks! Your query has been generated. You can run the search on the nearest cache page."

Click on run the search and confirm that it lists caches of the type and location that you were expecting.

If no caches are listed then your query definately needs fixed.

Once the outcome looks good, go back and check the boxes for the day(s) of the week you want the query to run.

Finally re-submit the modified query.

Later, if nothing arrives in the mail and the site indicates your query has been run, and you already know that it will produce results then it could be that your ISPs anti spam filter is preventing the mail from reaching you.

edited for bad html

Edited by McKryton

Here is an excellent tutorial about PQs.

If your ISP is blocking the PQs for some reason, set up a Gmail or Yahoo! email account and use that for the PQs.

One thing that happened last week with scheduled PQs was that they weren't running for some reason. :) I don't have any scheduled ones in my list of many PQs around this cache-rich area. If I am heading out in one direction, I pull up that PQ, check the day, and it runs, usually, within a few minutes. thumbsup.gif

Just something to keep in mind. :D