Ok, How Do I Give Back To This Community

A. Ask the owner to give you ownership.

B. Wait long enough after no response and ask the reviewer to give you ownership. (expect to wait even longer)

C. Have the cache archive and place a new cache. (expect to wait a long time for the archive)

That's it!

Hiya Guys,

First post, but been doing geo-caching on and off for a few years now. I've seen a few caches go offline, and have heard reference to an adoption area for caches.

I am clueless, but don't see the area. How does one adopt these orphan caches?

Hyppy ;)

There is not an official area for cache adoptions. You normally cannot adopt archived caches. If you want to give back to your community, Place Quality hides, not Quantity ones. Do a CITO once a year. Help with your local cache org. Start one if there isn't one. Offer to volunteer at your local schools to help teach GPS usage. There are lots of ways.

I agree, geocaches aren't really monuments that are left for posterity. It isn't always bad thing for a cache to "die a natural death", be archived and give its' enviromental surroundings a chance to recover.

"Giving back" to the caching community can be as simple as leaving better items than you take, reporting any problems like nearly full log books (or full, missing) or damp contents to the cache owner and also as mentioned before placing thoughtful hides.

Edited by Bill & Tammy

Does your local geocaching group have a website / discussion area? Every so often on the MSGA web board, a local cacher will ask if anyone wants to adopt some of their caches, as they are moving away / posted overseas / no longer has the time....

Does your local geocaching group have a website / discussion area? Every so often on the MSGA web board, a local cacher will ask if anyone wants to adopt some of their caches, as they are moving away / posted overseas / no longer has the time....

There is one I just joined that seems active. Once I get the pulse, I'll ask about. Thanks for the info

.... If you want to give back to your community, Place Quality hides, not Quantity ones. Do a CITO once a year. Help with your local cache org. Start one if there isn't one. Offer to volunteer at your local schools to help teach GPS usage. There are lots of ways.

One of the best ways is to always make sure you trade up at the cache. And spend a few more minutes on your logs so that we can all be entertained a bit.

.... If you want to give back to your community, Place Quality hides, not Quantity ones. Do a CITO once a year. Help with your local cache org. Start one if there isn't one. Offer to volunteer at your local schools to help teach GPS usage. There are lots of ways.

One of the best ways is to always make sure you trade up at the cache. And spend a few more minutes on your logs so that we can all be entertained a bit.

oh, yes, as a cache owner I love getting a notification that there is a new log on one of my caches, expecially if it has a nice story to go with it. Luckily, I see few short logs on my caches, and am usually quite entertained reading what cachers thought.

Plus, its always fun to read what others thought of a cache that I've found, I've learned as much about the locations where the cache is from the logs as I have from the descriptions themselves (such as "hey, I saw a nutria near GZ today" or an explanation as to just what the old building used to be from a old-timer local).

"Giving back" to the caching community can be as simple as leaving better items than you take, reporting any problems like nearly full log books (or full, missing) or damp contents to the cache owner and also as mentioned before placing thoughtful hides.
I bought small ziplock bags in a couple sizes at a craft store, and I print blank stash notes with attached log sheets in a couple sizes. They don't cost much or take up much space in my geocaching kit, but they can save the cache owner a maintenance trip. And of course, I try to dry out the contents of damp caches when I can.

And ditto what others have said about trading up, CITO, placing thoughtful hides, writing thoughtful logs, reporting problems to cache owners, etc.

e-mail the owner that you would like to adopt one of his/hers caches. ask the owner to go to www.geocaching.com/adopt. the owner will input the waypoint GC# and then your account name. then you'll get an e-mail stating you have been asked to adopt and do you want to. goto the link and accept. easy, just adopted one myself.