Which Gps?

Hi - I am a newcomer to this and want to buy a GPS to go geocaching/hiking - there seems to be so much choice - but what do I go for ? Budget is around £150. I have read a lot of forums and Magellan after sales doesnt instill confidence but the Explor 210 looks appealing ?Any help greatly appreciated - thanks

Hi being a relative newcomer to this geocaching I asked the same question a while back and I listened to what people said. I eventually chose the Garmin Etrex Legend which cost me 90 quid with all the UK maps included. Although I must admit that the maps dont instill confidence in me. I still take my laptop and Autoroute for security.

Red Squadron.........John & Ann

Been using the Legend for nearly a year and still happy with it. Cost me about £130. Red Squadron's deal looks much better! Both my lads (22 and 16 respectively) use Camos (the same as the yellow etrex, but don't drop them in the woods) which I found them for around 70 beer vouchers each. All UK sourced.

First can I welcome you to the obsession, what not an obsession, it soon will be :anitongue::laughing:

We have got both a Magellan and a Garmin and have been unfortunate enough to require after sales service on both of them and I have to say we received excellent service from both companies. Both were out of warranty and both were repaired free of charge.

I (Bernie) believe that the most significant quality of a GPS unit is its memory capacity. Second, the resolution of the screen.

Putting our money where my mouth is, I have flogged off our Vista C and lashed out on a Vista Cx. The big difference - the latter takes a microSD card, the former is limited to its internal 24 MB of memory.

We also own a Streetpilot 2610. An older piece of kit by present standards but.... read on. This was a considered choice, based on many years familiarity with Garmin hard and software. The SP 2610 comes complete with City Navigator software - this is installed on a PC and downloaded to the Garmin unit as required.

The real billy bonus of this solution is that the software, protected by Garmin's uncrackable security system, can be unlocked for a second Garmin GPS unit - for free!

This is the point when you lash out on a Garmin Vista or other autorouting-capable unit such as the 60CS.

I purchased an eTrex Legend a year and a half ago and it will definitely fit into your budget. It has some onboard memory that can be used to store the excellent Mapsourse maps files. In my opinio, and others, a GPS without mapping capability is of dubious value. The Legend is compact and durable and doesn't chew through batteries like many older units. I can recommend this unit without hesitation.