The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

A hint - it's not furry....

... maybe more of a passion...

Imagine you're on an expedition to an unexplored land on the other side of the world.. think of all the things any sensible Naval man would take with him... make a long list of possesions he may need.. and then ignore that and think of something else...

Racehorse? :rolleyes:

... maybe more of a passion...

Imagine you're on an expedition to an unexplored land on the other side of the world.. think of all the things any sensible Naval man would take with him... make a long list of possesions he may need.. and then ignore that and think of something else...

and the Ipod thing could well be a clue...

Well I doubt there was any recording equipment available back then :rolleyes:

So, did he take an orchestra to play live music? :grin::lol:

I thought a horse had fur? But nope not a horse...

Horses have hair not fur. :rolleyes:

I take it though that it's not an animal?

nor was it an Ipod....

Is it music related?

Ok I'ts not hairy or furry or feathered......

and the Ipod thing could well be a clue...

A passion... Ipod... music... musical instrument....

Guitars were not the thing so a violin?

Or can we go really stupid and go for something big like a piano?

Helen

Ah a DING in E#Major to Helen...

He did indeed take a piano with him to Australia...

George Bouchier Worgan (1757-1838) came to New South Wales as surgeon on HMS Sirius, the flagship of the First Fleet. He had joined the British Navy in 1775, serving as surgeon's second mate from February 1778, then as naval surgeon from March 1780. He remained in New South Wales only until 1791, when he returned to England to continue in the medical profession (as a surgeon's mate and surgeon) till about 1800, retiring on half-pay to take up farming, though with little success.

So there we go.....

George Bouchier Worgan (1757-1838) came to New South Wales as surgeon on HMS Sirius, the flagship of the First Fleet. He had joined the British Navy in 1775, serving as surgeon's second mate from February 1778, then as naval surgeon from March 1780. He remained in New South Wales only until 1791, when he returned to England to continue in the medical profession (as a surgeon's mate and surgeon) till about 1800, retiring on half-pay to take up farming, though with little success.

So there we go.....

But did he take the piano back with him, I wonder?

So there we go.....

But did he take the piano back with him, I wonder?

I happen to know he left it in Australia... the full story can be found here... Australias First Piano

That ding is just the right key to suit my voice :rolleyes:

A piano sounds suitably silly although I did not expect to get it right. Now I have visions of him explaining to the captain how it will calm down the inmates on the long voyage, help to woo the locals on arrival and bond the sailors with some good ole sing-a-long :lol:

Anyhow... the next question... a musical one me thinks:

David Bowie wrote some words to a french song but before he got to publish or record it the rights were bought by someone else and new words written. This song went on to be a massive hit. As a response to this Bowie wrote a song with a similar chord structure although it has not made him the millions the other song has made for the other writer.

The question is what was the massive hit written to that french song and what was the song David Bowie wrote in response?

Helen

Aha! One I think I know.

Was that My Way?

I've a feeling Paul Anka was the guy who did the translation as well.

That Paul Anka wrote the words we all know was to be my next hint. Yes that song is My Way...

The ding will be given for the song David Bowie wrote as a riposte,

Helen

Life on Mars

Ding!

It was indeed Life on Mars that Bowie wrote in response. They do not sound that similar but it becomes more apparent when you play the chords. My Way is a bit more looking back on one's life at the end and deciding that one did as much as one could, whereas Life on Mars is a bit more like is that all there is? Perhaps it sums up the different opinions across the Atlantic?

Over to Marty...

Life on Mars

Ding!

It was indeed Life on Mars that Bowie wrote in response. They do not sound that similar but it becomes more apparent when you play the chords. My Way is a bit more looking back on one's life at the end and deciding that one did as much as one could, whereas Life on Mars is a bit more like is that all there is? Perhaps it sums up the different opinions across the Atlantic?

Over to Marty...

I'm really struggling to think of a question here, so having just spotted a DVD out of the corner of my eye:

Name the three stars of the film "Oh Mr Porter" Geocaching connection (contains spoiler pic and the answers so don't look!!!)

Edited by MartyBartfast

Hint, and I'll take either the actors names or the characters they portrayed.

53438_300.JPG

O.K. it looks like I'm the only one old/sad enough to know this, so if no-one can come up with the original answer, here's a supplemental question.

This film, and particularly the three characters shown here, gave a writer the idea for a plot outline for a British TV sitcom, what was that sitcom?

Hint, and I'll take either the actors names or the characters they portrayed.

53438_300.JPG

O.K. it looks like I'm the only one old/sad enough to know this, so if no-one can come up with the original answer, here's a supplemental question.

This film, and particularly the three characters shown here, gave a writer the idea for a plot outline for a British TV sitcom, what was that sitcom?

Last of the Summer Wine??

The others who are with Will Hay are Moor Marriott and Graham Moffat.

Will Hay was playing Mr Porter as the film was "Oh Mr Porter".

No, I haven't googled it, I asked fountain of all knowledge, on such trivia, my Dad! He first saw the film when it came out in 1937, his Dad took him to Bournemouth to see something at The Pavillion theatre, it was full, so they went to the cinema and saw this film instead. He says it was the first film he ever saw and he was 7 years old.

Dad reckons the spin off was "Oh Dr Beeching" and is now reciting the song ...

The others who are with Will Hay are Moor Marriott and Graham Moffat.

Will Hay was playing Mr Porter as the film was "Oh Mr Porter".

No, I haven't googled it, I asked fountain of all knowledge, on such trivia, my Dad! He first saw the film when it came out in 1937, his Dad took him to Bournemouth to see something at The Pavillion theatre, it was full, so they went to the cinema and saw this film instead. He says it was the first film he ever saw and he was 7 years old.

Dad reckons the spin off was "Oh Dr Beeching" and is now reciting the song ...

BIG DING to your dad.

Will Hay played the rather pompous and slightly bungling station master, who had been promoted above his abilities. Moor Marriot played Harbottle, the old timer who'd been on the railways all his life, Graham Moffat played albert, the younger slightly stupid boy. When trying to think of a basis for forming the platoon in Dad's Army one of the writers (I think it was Jimmy Perry, but could have been David Croft) thought of this film and started with Mainwaring, Jones & Pike, then built the rest of the platoon around them.