Wet Logs

GO CACHN

Hi, I was just curious, when we find a wet log paper. What should we do and what do most people do? Such as we were at the bridge one the other day and there was water in the canister and the papers were wet. what do most people do in this case? Thanks Greg

Hi, I was just curious, when we find a wet log paper. What should we do and what do most people do? Such as we were at the bridge one the other day and there was water in the canister and the papers were wet. what do most people do in this case? Thanks Greg

There's no single answer in our case. Some of the things that we've done include:
  • Punt
  • Sign the wet log with a pencil
  • Sign the wet log with a pen and hope it doesn't run
  • Replace the log with a new dry one w/new plastic bag
  • Dry the log in the sun

It all depends on the circumstances.

There's no single answer in our case. Some of the things that we've done include:
  • Punt
  • Dry the log in the sun

There's a ballpoint pen called a "Space Pen" that writes on soggy paper really well and fits into the pocket of your jeans. Luckily I was given a complimentary Space Pen at a Magellan Fun Rally. The bad news is that Space-Pen refills cost about five bucks.

It also helps to carry a bit of blank paper with you so that you can contrive a replacement log.

Edited by SD Rowdies

• Punt
  • Dry the log in the sun

If you keep the little silica bags that you find in the bottle with your vitamin tablets you can place them in a small ziploc bag with the log and it will be dry for the next visitor and may stay dry a lot longer.

Jeff

It's best to make summer time come and dry up the little logs. :tired:

Normally, I dry the log on a nice warm rock (or the hood of a car, but in the A/C of the car vent works best) and dry out everything else in the cache (often trashing anything that can't get dry). I also carry spare Geo-Notes and Logs with small zip-locks so I can replace the wet logs. In other words, I leave it ready to hunt for the next cachers to follow.

Some people may ask 'why toss other items that can't be dried?' The answer is MOLD. If you can't get the cache dry, the dark/wet/cool cache will grow things! <_<

I dump out the water, do what I can to sop out extra water in the log and signe it with a Unibal Power Tank pen which will write on wet paper (though not quite sopping wet) and won't run.

Space pens work as well I'm told but the Power Tank is cheaper. Sharpies don't write quite as well on wet paper but don't run either. Gell pens will write on wet paper really well but they run. Lastly pencils don't run but tend to rip the paper if it's damp enough to have lost it's integrity.

Any damp logs down here are usually in small ziplocs, and dry out after about 30 seconds in the sun.

I have found that for writing on dry paper, the Uniball Signo 207 MicroTip pen can't be beat.

I have one of those Space Pens and will have to try it on wet paper....