Code Breaking Help

foodninja

Well, it would be easy to type out the answer for you, but that would spoil all your fun. This code can be easily found on the internet. Since someone near here used the same thing, I can tell you that I was able to find it and decode the message at that time. Try Google or Ask.com.

As far as the hint goes, I suspect it is simply a clue for when you are actually hunting for the cache. :)

Not only is it a cool code, the cache is a fantastic series. Gimpstick (the cache owner) has been releasing a new Dread Pirate Roberts cache every month or so since last fall. Each one has added a new puzzle type. He's dropped hints that it will wrap up sometime this year with a final puzzle cache that will involve revisiting each cache in the series to pick up clues. Naturally, I'm very much looking forward to it.

Makes me happy to think of the great caching community we have up here in Thunder Bay, you might want to visit sometime. <_<

Hi everyone. You’re talking about my cache series here and I must say I feel quite flattered to have garnered anyone’s attention.

Let me share with you an observation about how this type of cache comes pre-built with some clues.. Although all the cache locations are obscured you can assume that they are near their posted locations. Given that they are close by, you can assume that in the case of the DPR series the words forty, eight and eighty will be in the message. Add to that the fact that E is the most common letter in English you can really narrow things down. In fact that’s well over 1/3 of the cipher nailed down right away.

Once again I’m glad you enjoy my puzzles thank you for the attention.

Hi everyone. You’re talking about my cache series here and I must say I feel quite flattered to have garnered anyone’s attention.

Let me share with you an observation about how this type of cache comes pre-built with some clues.. Although all the cache locations are obscured you can assume that they are near their posted locations. Given that they are close by, you can assume that in the case of the DPR series the words forty, eight and eighty will be in the message. Add to that the fact that E is the most common letter in English you can really narrow things down. In fact that’s well over 1/3 of the cipher nailed down right away.

Once again I’m glad you enjoy my puzzles thank you for the attention.

Its amazing the percentage of 'code' caches that can be solved like this. Basically the 'brute force' method.

The theory behind it is pretty simple.

Step 1. Pick a word that you think should be somewhere in the cipher

Step 2. Find a set of letters/symbols that match that pattern.

Step 3. Work out the results of substituting the letters in in that pattern

Step 4. Make more guesses of what certain words should be.

As an example, assume you think the work "cache" should be somewhere in the code.

Look through the code for a sequence of symbols where the first and third letter/symbols are the same, but the second, forth and fifth are different.

Assume that those 5 symbols represent the word 'cache'. If they do what other words can you make out?

Assume there is a 3 letter word in there were the second letter an 'h' if the other word is 'cache' well that word is probably 'the'. Now you've got the TH words started, and you can solve those, etc, etc, etc.

Actually its not as difficult as it sounds. You can download some pretty neat programs to help you with it off the internet (although you've often have to 'massage' the data to get it in to a form the program can read). I've brute forced more of these than I care to admit...