Improved Hint Encryption?

darus67

The current hint encryption is somewhat limited in that it only encrypts alphabetic characters.

Numbers and punctuation are left untouched.

I understand the need to keep it simple to decode in the field, but I can't help wondering whether it is worth expanding the encryption scheme a bit.

Thoughts, anyone?

I made up a table for a ROT18 encryption:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQR

STUVWXYZ0123456789

It would take care of the coordinates and numbers issue, and would still be "back-and-forth-able"

Jamie - NFA

Yea, spelling out numbers is a work around, but is less easy in the field.

And spelling out the punctuation is really annoying.

I was thinking something like this:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M 1 2 3 4 5 ! @ # $ % - _ . , ; '
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 6 7 8 9 0 ^ & * ( ) = + / ? : "

This keeps the traditional ROT13 the same for the letters (That way the people who can already read ROT13 directly aren't inconvenienced. ) and just adds on numbers and punctuation.

The current hint encryption is somewhat limited in that it only encrypts alphabetic characters.

Numbers and punctuation are left untouched.

I understand the need to keep it simple to decode in the field, but I can't help wondering whether it is worth expanding the encryption scheme a bit.

Thoughts, anyone?

It's a little late to be changing it, since there are thousands of hints that were written with the expectation that numerals wouldn't be altered.

I think the idea is to make it not simple to read a hint. I have not seen too many numbers that by themselves give much away. If the hint said it is under the 6th stair. Seeing the number 6 with rot 13 after it does not help me much.

A little obfusciation is the goal not encryption per say.

I think the idea is to make it not simple to read a hint. I have not seen too many numbers that by themselves give much away. If the hint said it is under the 6th stair. Seeing the number 6 with rot 13 after it does not help me much.

A little obfusciation is the goal not encryption per say.

I agree with this. It isn't a secret, it's just a hidden clue in case you need it.

Keep it fun. Keep it simple.

Yea, I guess obfuscating the punctuation would be a bit over the top.

I have run across hints which consisted of ONLY numbers, where it appeared that the hider either didn't notice or didn't care that the hint was not obfuscated.