Do You Have A Podcache In Your Area?

Do you have a PodCache in your area?

If you do not know what a PodCache is let me explain. It is a cache that you download a MP3 file into any MP3 Player and listen to it while looking for the cache. The file give you directions to the cache. If you do not have a MP3 player you can listen to it on your computer take notes and then go out and find the cache. Look at this cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5d-69dd3b204c7a you will see what I am talking about. Also there is a site called podcacher.com and you can get more info on podcasting. They also put on a show about geocaching each week and I think it is one of the best shows about caching around.

Richard of the GeoCrickets

This reads like an advertisement.

...except that they aren't selling anything.

And except that the Podcacher site owners are here in the San Diego area, and GeoCrickets are way out in Lodi! B)

Back to the on-topic post.

itrax and foxtail, the people behind the podcacher site listed what I assume to be the first podcache right here in town. I didn't have a portable MP3 player at the time, so I listened to it on my computer and took notes. It was a pretty cool twist on the caching experience.

This reads like an advertisement.

...except that they aren't selling anything.

And except that the Podcacher site owners are here in the San Diego area, and GeoCrickets are way out in Lodi! :laughing:

Back to the on-topic post.

itrax and foxtail, the people behind the podcacher site listed what I assume to be the first podcache right here in town. I didn't have a portable MP3 player at the time, so I listened to it on my computer and took notes. It was a pretty cool twist on the caching experience.

I have not talked to itrax or foxtail but I did come by their site and liked their idea of the podcache. I may try to do something like that here if I can. Lodi is only about 400 miles from the San Diego Area so it's not that far out.

Who? Podcacher? They ask for donations and advertise companies through their site.

If I were the arguing type, I would say:

Asking for donations isn't selling. The advertisers who appear on their site are the only ones selling anything. Heck, geocaching.com advertises companies on their site, and that doesn't make them evil.

The good people who produce and publish Podcacher Podcasts, Icenrye's Geocaching Videozine, (I don't dare post links) etc. only serve to stir up more interest and excitement in this fantastic thing called geocaching.

I have heard numerous suggestions in Podcacher Podcasts for geocachers to become paying Premium Members of geocaching.com and to purchase Travel Bugs, so I guess maybe they are selling stuff...for Groundspeak! I think that Groundspeak would to well to encourage, promote and praise these brave volunteers who use their time and resources to share so much fun and adventure with their fellow geocachers.

But I don't like to argue with authority figures, so I won't. I'll go geocaching instead. :)

Edited by Pablo Mac
Who? Podcacher? They ask for donations and advertise companies through their site.

If I were the arguing type, I would say:

Asking for donations isn't selling. The advertisers who appear on their site are the only ones selling anything. Heck, geocaching.com advertises companies on their site, and that doesn't make them evil.

The good people who produce and publish Podcacher Podcasts, Icenrye's Geocaching Videozine, (I don't dare post links) etc. only serve to stir up more interest and excitement in this fantastic thing called geocaching.

I have heard numerous suggestions in Podcacher Podcasts for geocachers to become paying Premium Members of geocaching.com and to purchase Travel Bugs, so I guess maybe they are selling stuff...for Groundspeak! I think that Groundspeak would to well to encourage, promote and praise these brave volunteers who use their time and resources to share so much fun and adventure with their fellow geocachers.

But I don't like to argue with authority figures, so I won't. I'll go geocaching instead. :ph34r:

I totally agree wth you pablo.

We do a monthly podcast and have a podcache at www.gacaching.com, but we were unable to publish it because it had 2 google adsense ads at the bottom.

Ok, I'll admit, I heard the term "podcaching" but never knew what they were, and now that I know I'm intrigued. I could think of some neat places where this concept could work. So before I go letting the creative juices run further, are podcaches publishable here on gc.com or no?

Assuming they require the use of a GPS and meet the other guidelines.... but the idea of using an MP3 in conjunction with a GPS, has that historically been allowed here?

The one mentioned (Pablo's) doesn't mention an MP3... so how does that work?

Edit: re-reading the OP and checking out that podcache answered my questions....

Edited by DocDiTTo

Ok, I'll admit, I heard the term "podcaching" but never knew what they were, and now that I know I'm intrigued. I could think of some neat places where this concept could work. So before I go letting the creative juices run further, are podcaches publishable here on gc.com or no?

Assuming they require the use of a GPS and meet the other guidelines.... but the idea of using an MP3 in conjunction with a GPS, has that historically been allowed here?

The one mentioned (Pablo's) doesn't mention an MP3... so how does that work?

Edit: re-reading the OP and checking out that podcache answered my questions....

it seems to be allowable and i should have one up in GA shortly.

it seems to be allowable and i should have one up in GA shortly.

Actually, after listening to the podcache recording, it sounds pretty cool. Would be an awesome way to communicate the history of an area, or to point out the often missed highlights along a trail.

So, another question - is Groundspeak going to show a little more support for these types of caches, like maybe by making a new "Podcache" type? (or "AudioCache", if Podcache is a trademark or something)?

Seems like a great idea... in fact, if this were to become more common, I'd actually have a reason to go buy an iPod!

Just out of curiosity, what do folks use to make the recording -- just a digital voice recorder? What about mixing in music? Ah, so many questions... :cry: