Auto Routing On 60csx

This might be a dumb question, but I will ask it anyways.

When I am using the auto route function on my 60csx, I notice that it doesn't always follow the roads, even if I have told it to.

Will the routing follow the country roads on the topo software? Or does it just follow the major highways that came pre-programmed into the unit?

I noticed that when I am getting ready to send a new map set to the unit from the Mapsource topo software, the little box that can be checked at the bottom of the map list, that says something about "include auto routing info for units that support auto-routing" is voided out, to where you can't check, or uncheck the box. It won't let me check the box to include the info for autorouting.

Do I have something set up wrong? Or does the topo software just not supprt routing on the "country roads"?

Autorouting does not work with topo software.

Your unit is just autorouting using the standard included basemap. If you want more detailed routing, you'll need to buy City Navigator or City Select.

I have topo and city select loaded at the same time. I use city select to navigate to the parking area and then switch to Topo if necessary to get to the cache.

Autorouting does not work with topo software.

Your unit is just autorouting using the standard included basemap. If you want more detailed routing, you'll need to buy City Navigator or City Select.

I have topo and city select loaded at the same time. I use city select to navigate to the parking area and then switch to Topo if necessary to get to the cache.

Same thing I do - Works great ^_^

Is there any way to make the topo lines and the city nav detail on at the same time, or do you have to go in to the map setup page and hide one?

Oops. Forgot that our friends in the UK get routable topo maps!

But here in the US we have to buy 2 different sets of maps to get both topo and autorouting street maps. . .

The canada topo maps also allow autorouting. Im experiencing some weird issues with major hiways that ARE listed on the base map, the route is correct just the major hi-way exchanges arent listed as a TURN.

Anyways it does work, and route onscreen will get you to your final destination coast to coast.

Does the city nav / select software show all of the same country/ county roads as topo? I went with topo because I wanted to make sure it tracked me on any of the dirt / gravel roads that I traveled on, But if the city versions cover tham all also, I might look into getting it also.

In your opinions, is the city nav / select software worth having if a person already has the topo?

Edited by ILBandit

Does the city nav / select software show all of the same country/ county roads as topo? I went with topo because I wanted to make sure it tracked me on any of the dirt / gravel roads that I traveled on, But if the city versions cover tham all also, I might look into getting it also.

In your opinions, is the city nav / select software worth having if a person already has the topo?

It can certainly be worthwhile to have both and you can easily switch between them on the GPS (I frequently use the streetmaps to get to a trailhead and then switch to Topo to see the trails and contour lines).

CitySelect/Nav. does include quite a few small country roads and is generally much more up-to-date than USTopo, but it won't always have as many dirt/gravel roads. Check it out using the MapViewer on Garmin's website at:

http://www.garmin.com/cartography

Zoom way in on a few areas with which you're familiar and see if the detail level is worthwhile.

Having CitySelect/Nav on a 60csx also makes it much more useful for everyday activities around town and on trips.