Garmin Csx Vs. Explorist 600

LAEOL

I know it is subjective and everyone has a different opinion, however I am looking to upgrade my Meridian Gold to either the: Magellan eXplorist 600 , Garmin 60 CSx or the Garmin 76CSx. Any input anyone might have would be helpful. Along with the unit I plan to purchase the topo maps and street maps.

I am not worried about the price (one vs the other) I am more interested in the quality of both the units themselves as well as the software.

Thanks

Larry

If it must be a 3 axis compass, then your only choice is the Magellan. Garmin's electronic compass is a 2 axis version that must be held level.

But I wouldn't trade my 60csx for any other unit, period.

I like Garmin's quality, but I especially like their top-notch customer service in the event that I have a question or problem.

Thanks for the info. Does the 2 axis compass require you to be moving for accurate readings?

No, but they are a PITA since you have to hold it level. The 3 Axis compass is something that Magellan got right. However I'm not likely to get a GPS with a compass to begin with, just when I had one the Vista was always telling me "Hold Level" no matter what I was doing. Finally I turned off the compass and was much happier.

The 3d-axis compass of the eXp works really fine. It is a nice feature when caching, although it drains the battery faster. The eXplorist is a more compact unit than the 60 Csx, but more troublesome regarding the firmware.

Regards,

Arie1

Edited by arie1

FWIW, if you decide on a 60CSx in the near future Amazon.com is running a special where you get an additional 5% off until the 8th of May. I just ordered mine and it cost $385 shipped.

From Amazon:

Special Offer: Purchase this item offered by Amazon.com and get 5% off the price (for up to $100 in savings). Offer valid through May 8, 2006. Place this item in your shopping cart and use promotional code SAVECEEVENTT in the box provided at checkout. (Applies only to products sold by Amazon.com. Does not apply to products sold on our site by third-party merchants or through third-party areas such as Amazon.com Marketplace, Auctions, or zShops.) See details.

I finally used the compass in my 60csx yesterday. It wasn't quite as much of a PITA as I though it would be after reading all the threads. Level isn't quite level, more like 10 degrees tilted toward you. I calibrated it when I left my car and then used it to find a few rock climbing walls. I think its better to be level because I was using it to orient a book I had with a stupid map.

I was pretty impressed with how it worked any way.

Thanks for the help, I think Iwill go with the eXplorist simply because the software will be compatible with my Meridian Gold.

I like using the compass feature and will report back when I have played around with it a bit.

I recently purchased the Garmin GPSmap 76CSx, and it does have a 3-axis compass. It is an awesome unit, with a fantastic receiver. Driving from NC to WV, and riding up and down forested trails on an ATV in WV, the only time the unit lost signal was going through the 2 tunnels on I-77 - and it made it a good way through the tunnel before reception was lost.

I don't think you can beat this unit! :)

Just a question. Does the Magellan use the new SiRF chipset? I just got my 60CSX and used it in very heavy pine cover, and up against a shale cliff (in a ravine) yesterday with very satisfactory results. I can even get a L/L in my metal office building, 10 feet away from a window.

Thales/ Magellan makes their own chips they do not use the SiRF chips, but the one in the explorist is comparable

I recently purchased the Garmin GPSmap 76CSx, and it does have a 3-axis compass.

Actually the 76csx does not have a 3rd axis compass, if it did it would not be sensative to tilt. The 76csx overall is a great unit but it does have it's problems and the compass is one of them. The altimeter is the other, not a good thing since both those features are why the "csx" is more expensive compared to the "cx". The 76csx I have is even worse than my old 76s with the compass. It's much much too sensative to tilting. I can easily get it to swing 100 degrees before the "hold level" indicators come on, even small amounts of tilt say 1/8-1/4" that could easily happen in the field throw readings off 10+ degrees. Calibration is a problem as well since during calibration that same sensitivity to tilt throws off the calibration itself, I've done multiple calibrations in a row and ended up with baselines off as much as 5 degrees either way. The sight-n-go is a issue as well because it's much harder to keep the tilt in check when holding the unit up at eye level than it is say at waist level. In fact I've found I get much better readings taking sight-n-go measurements at the waist and turning my body to the object instead of trying to actually sight it.

Overall it's a great unit, the reception can't be beat, but it has it's issues, hopefully which will soon be dealt with in firmware updates.