Legend Cx Or 60csx?

I currently have a regular E-trex Legend, just the simple grayscale display. I am wanting to upgrade to a newer / color model.

Looking at the Legend cx mostly because I figure it would operate almost the same as my regular Legend, and I wouldn't have to re-learn how to use a unit.

But from reading the forum, It sounds like the 60csx is an awesome unit, so now it had sparked my interest.

Is there a huge difference in performance between the 2 units? I notice there is a significant difference in the prices, and was wondering if the extra $$$$$ would be worth spending for me?

I mostly just use my GPS for caching, and hiking. I definately want a color screen now, and want more memory for maps.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't mind spending money on a nicer unit, but don't want to spend on something that i wouldn't really need.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm sitting on the same fence. I think if you like the compact size of the Legend CX and don't need the additional antenna sensitivity of the 60CSX, the Legend CX would be a great choice.

If a major upgrade to your reception is important, the 60CSX is hard to top.

I own a eTrex Vista and a 60CS and really like the size and easy one handed operation of the eTrex line.

Outside the placement of the buttons, the interfaces are similar so the learning curve for the 60 won't be that much.

Ok, I tried the etrax Csx and it proved to be more than unacceptable in a car for navagating. It also had issues in areas like canyons and where there were tall mountains. As a hiking aid, fine, as a driving aid, not so fine. The ability to add a remote antenna as well as the added sensitivity of the external antenna sold me hands down. I did run from Utah to Denver with the etrax, lost the signal in the truck as I came over Vail Pass and returned it to REI and got the GPSMAP60csx, and I have been pleased ever since. Even in the fiery furnace of Arches, that unit stayed on top of the signals, and as proof, the difference inside the store was 8 satillites for the 60 vs none for the etrax.

Now, for geocaching, the compass for getting bearings, combined with the data functions for distance, speed, time and bearings all are helpful. In addition, the elevation chart proves very interesting, and in Colorado becomes a very necessary tool for navagating, especially with the topomaps installed.

One last item. I upped the memory to 512 mb on my 60. What i found is that there is a limit of 1000 maps, topo or street nav. allowed. So anymore ram than 512B is not really much use, unless you intend to load 1000s of square miles of topo, and thats pushing the use of the unit. As it is, I have all the nav maps for Colorado, Utah, New Mexica, South Dakota, North Dakota, Nevada, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut and Rhode Island current loaded. That is plenty!

Good luck with whichever unit you get.

WOW, Thanks for all the info! Now I am really wondering. I had read that the new Legend cx was alot more sensitive than the old Legend, and that was alot of the reason I was looking at it. (other than the color screen)

But you say the 60 will out-do the Legend cx for keeping a signal? I do loose signal in the deep woods once in a while, that would be a great thing to "fix".

I guess my main concern is if it hold the signals + $200 better?? LOL

WOW, Thanks for all the info! Now I am really wondering. I had read that the new Legend cx was alot more sensitive than the old Legend, and that was alot of the reason I was looking at it. (other than the color screen)

But you say the 60 will out-do the Legend cx for keeping a signal? I do loose signal in the deep woods once in a while, that would be a great thing to "fix".

I guess my main concern is if it hold the signals + $200 better?? LOL

I guess that all depends whether you're driving the interstates or hunting by yourself at dusk in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness in Idaho. It's a relative thing. I do both, so to me the extra $$ was worth ot.

Just found one for around $400 shipped. Trying to restrain from grabging my credit card right now. I think I'm gonna have to get the 60, save a few steps, because I figure after having the New legend for a while, I would just end up upgrading with the 60 after a while anyway!

Thanks for all the info!

Today I went caching for the first time since getting my new 60csx. I took my 60cs along to compare performance in the trees now that we have dense leaf cover again.

Twice the 60csx brought me within 3 feet of the cache. Each time, the 60cs was 20+ feet off.

I am crazy in love with the increased sensitivity of the new x series! If you can afford the price difference, the performance increase is very impressive!

Edited by YuccaPatrol

The Legend Cx is more sensitive than the original Legend, but will be beaten hands down by the 60CSx under tree cover.

I use a Legend Cx for mountain biking due to its smaller size.

The trees are only just coming into leaf over here in the UK, so I haven't really tested it properly under tree cover yet.

I would have gone for the 60Cx personally, as it has better battery life, and less things to go wrong, but finances would not permit it [:ph34r:]

If the extra cost isn't prohibitive, go for the 60Cx or CSx.

I'm happy with the Legend Cx for now.........

One last item. I upped the memory to 512 mb on my 60. What i found is that there is a limit of 1000 maps, topo or street nav. allowed.

You need to update your firmware. The limit has been updated to just over 2000, I can't recall the exact number. I've currently got most of Topo East, plus selected cities from Topo West loaded totaling something like 1990 maps. (60 CSx, 1 GB card)

Rick

I too would love a 60Cx but finances mean that my wife and I live with a Legend Cx each. I know the 60Cx is way better but for our use the Legend Cx works just fine and we love them.

We also upgraded from Legends and I notice the improved sensitivity. I can only go by what I've read about the 60Cxs so can't say whether they're worth an additional $200.

We bought our Legend Cxs online for $250 each...just as an fyi

Edited by k1w1t1m

Thanks for all of the info you all gave me! I was dead set on getting the Legend, but what the heck! It's only money right?? I ordered my new 60csx today, I figured if I didn't go ahead and get it,,,, I would always just wonder if I made the right choice.

Got a good deal online for about $100 less than I expected to pay, so I went for it.

Can't wait to get it and try it out!

Hope it doesn't take forever to learn how to navigate around on this one, I kinda liked the little "push stick" that the legend had. You say this one is a fairly easy transition to learn??? The legend is the only GPS I have ever had, so I don't have much experience with learning how to use new units.

Probably be posting alot more on here until I learn everything on the 60.

I still pretty much a "newby" to all of this GPS stuff.

Edited by ILBandit