New Garmin Cable

Ok, I got a new PC yesterday, and it doesn't have any serial connectors, so I can't plug in the cable for my GPS.

I was just going to order a new USB cable for it, but I can't remember the cheap website everyone recommends to buy the cables from. D'oh! I tried the search function but to no avail...

I have the eTrex basic yellow, and I don't even know if the make a USB version of the cable for it, so I'm also wondering if it'd be better/cheaper to just buy a USB to Serial adapter.

Ok, I got a new PC yesterday, and it doesn't have any serial connectors, so I can't plug in the cable for my GPS.

I was just going to order a new USB cable for it, but I can't remember the cheap website everyone recommends to buy the cables from. D'oh! I tried the search function but to no avail...

I have the eTrex basic yellow, and I don't even know if the make a USB version of the cable for it, so I'm also wondering if it'd be better/cheaper to just buy a USB to Serial adapter.

No, the etrex yellow doesn't have an option to use a USB cable, which leaves you needing a USB to serial adapter. My only advice is DO NOT order this from Garmin, as the price they are asking for it is ridiculous. You can get one at most electronics stores for around $20, or buy bone off ebay for about $12 shipped.

No, the etrex yellow doesn't have an option to use a USB cable, which leaves you needing a USB to serial adapter. My only advice is DO NOT order this from Garmin, as the price they are asking for it is ridiculous. You can get one at most electronics stores for around $20, or buy bone off ebay for about $12 shipped.

Thanks. I'll swing by Radio Shack or Circuit City on the way home. Hopefully they aren't too overpriced...can't go too long without being able to upload my pocket query.

I have the yellow garim too, and just bought a PC INTERFACE CABLE from Cabella....it seems to hook to the back of my computor (screws on) and then hooks to the top of my gps.....so what else do I need to download these cords? I was hoping to do it tonight for tomorrow...but since we seem to have lost the Garmin instruction book, we are muddling through.

I have the yellow garim too, and just bought a PC INTERFACE CABLE from Cabella....it seems to hook to the back of my computor (screws on) and then hooks to the top of my gps.....so what else do I need to download these cords? I was hoping to do it tonight for tomorrow...but since we seem to have lost the Garmin instruction book, we are muddling through.

I think easyGPS or GSAK will work with that model. GSAK (geocaching swiss army knife) is, as the name implies, aimed at geocaching while easyGPS allows basic functionality such as downloading/uploading waypoints, tracks, etc.

easyGPS is free, GSAK is low-cost/shareware but you can try it out for free.

I think easyGPS or GSAK will work with that model. GSAK (geocaching swiss army knife) is, as the name implies, aimed at geocaching while easyGPS allows basic functionality such as downloading/uploading waypoints, tracks, etc.

okay..downloaded the easygps, and am upand running right NOW...(lol) but I clicked all my boxes of waypoints I want downloaded, and when I do download them they are coming up as differant cords then what is actually on the cache page. whats up with that? and they are not coming in the order that I clicked them...I have them arranged 1-10 how I want to find them, and when they show on my easygps file they are all mixed into a differant order...is that just the way it does it or am I still lost somewhere?

okay..downloaded the easygps, and am upand running right NOW...(lol) but I clicked all my boxes of waypoints I want downloaded, and when I do download them they are coming up as differant cords then what is actually on the cache page. whats up with that? and they are not coming in the order that I clicked them...I have them arranged 1-10 how I want to find them, and when they show on my easygps file they are all mixed into a differant order...is that just the way it does it or am I still lost somewhere?

As for the coordinates, check what format your GPS is set for. Once loaded the caches will be displayed by cache name in alphabetical order, and by default the cache name will be the ID from geocaching.com.

As for the coordinates, check what format your GPS is set for. Once loaded the caches will be displayed by cache name in alphabetical order, and by default the cache name will be the ID from geocaching.com.

my cords are differant even before they go into my gps. they are differant in my "easygps file" on my desktop straight from geocaching. THEN I put them into my gps, and they were the ones that were wrong...but match what is in my file.

Edited by dsmyhubby

Wouldn't it be easier just to buy a seriel card for your PC? :D

I was going to suggest the same thing. You could go to your local computer super-store and pick up a cheap RS-232 serial card, and install it yourself!

Since virtually all desktop compters have serial ports built in, I'm working under the assumption the The Propers are using a laptop. Most new ones don't have serial ports at all, mine doesn't. That would kill the idea of adding a serial card.

Since virtually all desktop compters have serial ports built in, I'm working under the assumption the The Propers are using a laptop. Most new ones don't have serial ports at all, mine doesn't. That would kill the idea of adding a serial card.

Nope, it's a new Dell XPS gaming desktop rig....no serial ports at all (but 11 USB ports). I bought a USB -> Serial adapter ($19) but it still doesn't seem to work. At least GSAK doesn't recognize that it's there.

Grrrr....When I get back home I'll reply with the exact error GSAK gives me.

Oh, and before anyone says anything, no, I will never buy another Dell. Took me freaking 3 hours just to clean up all the preinstalled crap on it.

Edited by ThePropers

Nope, it's a new Dell XPS gaming desktop rig....no serial ports at all (but 11 USB ports). I bought a USB -> Serial adapter ($19) but it still doesn't seem to work. At least GSAK doesn't recognize that it's there.

Grrrr....When I get back home I'll reply with the exact error GSAK gives me.

Oh, and before anyone says anything, no, I will never buy another Dell. Took me freaking 3 hours just to clean up all the preinstalled crap on it.

When you get to the computer, PM me on this.

I PM'd you a couple days ago but haven't heard back. Anyone out there who can help me?

Here is my GPSr Setup screen. Com3 is the only port available to select

setup.jpg

Here is the error I get when I try to send the file:

error.jpg

I don't know what to look at. Am I missing a driver or something? Why would it think it's being used by another process?

I also don't have another serial device to connect to see if something besides the GPSr would work.

I had a similar problem with my GPS V and a HP laptop that didn't have a serial port. I used a serial/USB cable and thhat thing was a pain. I ended up going into control panel, system, hardware, device manager, ports, comm ports, advanced, and finding an unused com port and assigning it to my GPS V. If you have a Palm or anything like that, make sure to disable the HOTSYNC since this seizes a comm port at startup. It made me really nervous to go this deep into the setup, but it finally worked. I would also think that installing a serial card in an empty slot would be easier. My current laptop doesn't have a serial port, but it plugs into a docking station that does. I can work w/ the GPS V easily now once I remember to disable HOTSYNC. :D

Good luck