I Couldn't Find It

cmk9416

Hey guys, if anyone knows of the geogache hidden in Everly Park, Macomb, IL, USA planted by Team Goz, I've been out looking for it twice now and I can't find it. Does anyone have any clues to where I might try looking? Or maying I need to try something with my GPS? I'm using a Magellan 210 and the closest zoom I can get is 100 feet per centimeter or so in the screen. The hint given was that it was under a bush.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...af-fb4f6cb0c2d1

I'd like to be able to find my first cache.

It's a micro, could be pretty hard for a n00b to find. Log your DNF on the cache listing and ask the owner for a good hint. Let them know in your private msg that you are a n00b and have tried a couple of times. You should get good results.

If not try searching for a small to regular cache, much easier to spot them when they are hidden in a bush.

I notice you didn't log any DNFs. The cache is rated 1.5 for difficulty, which means it should be extremely easy. How is the owner supposed to know that this might not be as easy as he originally thought of people do not log their DNFs? Also, sometimes an owner will volunteer additonal info if he sees you are having trouble so its always good to log your DNFs.

I did find it, using nav mode instead of map mode helped a bit. Even though it never said I was on top of the cache (obscure accuracy) I was able to find it. I also found a second one that was nearby. You guys were a great help! Hopefully I will have better luck finding future caches. Thanks so much!

Oh, on another note, is there possibly a reason why when I upload benchmarks to my GPS the locations don't seem to upload? I've uploaded to cache sites and I can tell the unit to go to them just fine, but it seems like when I try to upload benchmarks the only thing that uploads is the name of it.

I did find it, using nav mode instead of map mode helped a bit. Even though it never said I was on top of the cache (obscure accuracy) I was able to find it.

Your GPS will rarely put you on top of the cache. You will usually find yourself to be anywhere between 10 and 50 feet off.

I feel the pain with the n00b. It depends on the size of the bush and the size of the container of the bush. I have found 700 caches and I still log an occational DNF on a 1-2 star difficulty camo micro in a bush.....I personally don't enjoy bush caches cuz you have the feeling that people are watching your questionable search and their are MANY places that someone can stick a container that size. Even small size caches such as a play-doh container....if it is dressed up to fit the surroundings and placed at the base of a moderate/large bush with some leaves on top of it...the listing can say 1.5* diff. and I am digging all around scratching my head, finally finding it after looking at that place a dozen times and 20 minutes later.

I agree with some of the other responces, for someone who has never found a cache before...try to hit the regular ammo box sized caches with the D/T rating of less than 2* and those will prove to be easy and fun, and it will only wet your appitite to find more and eventually finding the 5/5 caches on the side of cliffs.

Good luck, and hang in there!

any suggestions about benchmarks? should i really use easygps? Or is the magellan software okay?

How are you trying to go to them? On my Garmin there is a separate search mode for geocaching. The benchmarks will be stored as "ordinary" waypoints, not geocaches. I've not used Magellan, but there should be a way to navigate to a waypoint. The way I read your question, it sounded like it may not be a software issue, but rather figuring out how to get your GPSr to navigate to a waypoint that's stored.

One other note on finding benchmarks, often the written description will be of more use in finding it than your gps. Not only will it tell you exactly what you're looking for (flashing light on tower, survey disc, rivet, etc.) it will describe how to get there. I have found that the accuracy of coordinates listed for benchmarks varies greatly in my area.