County Caching Challenge

Looks like the county record could be under threat by the boys in Ireland.

Seems some of them are thinking of going for a mad trip of the 32 counties of Ireland.

They even have a groupie now :sad:

Having met and cached with some of them :unsure: I'd say they stand a good chance, but I also have reservations about the distances involved and the roads they will have to contend with :unsure:

Heres wishing them all the best and good luck if they do go for it. :lol::lol:

See Step up Steve and Sean on the www.geocachingireland.com forum.

Edited by CrazyL200

They would need a helicopter to do that many Irish counties in one day surely. They are starting to see some great dual carriageways in places now, but that's only between the main cities. Elsewhere a slow tractor or lorry would see your hopes of the record disappear very quickly.

Having said that, I'd love to see them do it as it's an ambitious one to go for :unsure:

Well, they went for it today.

Started at 10 pm last night.

32 caches, in 32 counties, in 22 hours and 50 mins.

1118 miles driven, plus what it took to get to the start and home from the finish.

Knowing the roads in Ireland I'd say that's a pretty good challenge now completed.

Well done to The Windsockers, Kili or bust, Donnacha and Hezekiah.

While it's not a UK record as such, it's good to see similar events/challenges going on across the water.

Nope. With two of Ireland's most prolific cachers involved and some counties only having one cache it would have been impossible to put that limit on things.

The main idea was to visit all 32 counties and use the caches as proof that it had been completed.

As Moote has pointed out it's not a UK record attempt so we made up our own rules ;)

That was one of my very first questions too. It would make a huge difference to the time required to complete the challenge.

I would be interested in seeing these guys make an attempt on the UK record now. That could be a real test

;)

I think not as much a test as it was when Tony and I completed it at Christmas, over 80% of our mileage was off Motorway and not on Major trunks either, now with the Motorway Mayhem series it means that caches are there for the picking.

I think not as much a test as it was when Tony and I completed it at Christmas, over 80% of our mileage was off Motorway and not on Major trunks either, now with the Motorway Mayhem series it means that caches are there for the picking.

You could always do it again and set a new target ;)

You could always do it again and set a new target ;)

We cleared off 44 MM caches at the end of Feb, so that would make it hard for me, and the £240+ in fuel costs is something I don't want to repeat!