Can Geocaching.com Know My Present Location?

Crusso

As alot of people use laptops in their vehicles, would it be possible for Geocaching.com to look for NMEA input and determine our present location so we could search for caches in our immediate vicinity?

I know this would require some modification to the site software but is it even possible? It would be a really cool feature for those of us that have a laptop or pda with a GPS attached and a wireless card.....

"You are here and so are these caches...."

All seriousness aside,

I heard that Groundspeak has an agreement with "a certain major GPSr manufacturer and communication satellite companies".

GC will be streaming encoded GC ID's from certain satelaites with Coords and relevant info. (Decoding will only be available through a special chip purchased/subcribed to from Groundspeak.)

The GPS will filter out the GC#### that are not within XX miles of your location. Caches in your "found it" list (stored on the GPS's SD card) will either display as found, or not shown (user selectable).

Other features / setable options:

Caches that do not have any "found it" logs will flash.

Caches with SBA's or XX number of DNF's will be either gray or ignored.

As alot of people use laptops in their vehicles, would it be possible for Geocaching.com to look for NMEA input and determine our present location so we could search for caches in our immediate vicinity?

I know this would require some modification to the site software but is it even possible? It would be a really cool feature for those of us that have a laptop or pda with a GPS attached and a wireless card.....

"You are here and so are these caches...."

That would be great if they could. My first thought is that it would entail updating your home coords with this umber in realtime, folowed by a pocket query for the area you are in, or headed towards.

I can see where lots of development would be needed, and the results would be great when you don't have time to plan your trip.

Edited by Moose Mob
on the "hide & seek a cache" page there is a form to search by Lat & Lon.

It wouldn't take much to read in a line of NMEA output from a gpsr and turn it into a URL to generate a search around those coords.

That's more like what I am talking about. Simply have a button labeled "Find the nearest cache". The website would query ure GPS in real time and give u a list of what's near. You wouldn't have to type in any coords or zips or do a pocket query. Sort of like a "You are here and so are these caches".

Granted, it's easy enough to just look at ure GPS and type ure lat and long into the web site form but wouldn't it be slick to just hit a single button? I figured with all the software pros we have that it would be an easy thing (or would it?) to implement.

Edited by Crusso