Creating A Vitual Cache

samd12

I would like to craete a virtual cache. I have found a location that you can drive right up to within 250ft of a bald eagles nest. When I go to create the cache virtual is not an option. Any ideas?

Ok...I have a question. What is between the cacher and the nest? Is the 250 feet easily traveled? Is there any chance that the cacher could get too close and disturb the nest? It's a neat idea, but I'm concerned with this kind of a site getting too many (potentially harmful) visitors.

Virtuals are no longer an option on this site. :lol:

Can you place a Traditional cache nearby, or create a multi cache with that location as one stage and the final container somewhere else?

New Virtuals can be created over at the "Waymarking" site . . .

I agree with the sad face. But if you do them over there you will find them overwhelmed by all of the locationless. Just look at how earthcaches got lost.

Just because some people didn't like them wasn't a reason to lose them so I'm sad too. :P

Then, what is the reason?

One reason stated by one of TPTB is that VCs do not have physical logs to sign, so they are not really caches.

Another reason that I have not seen explicitly stated is that Groundspeak is running out of six character codes for geocaches so something had to be done to delay the arrival of GCZZZZ + 1. That something was to stop creating new caches of the types that do not have physical logs to sign. They now can be created as waymarks which have six character codes starting with WM. Though if all the plans to create millions of waymarks come to fruitation, it won't be long before the problem of WMZZZZ + 1 arrives.

Maybe before either of these doomdays arrives all geocachers and waymarkers will have junked their old GPSrs that can only accept six character codes for newer GPSrs that accept at least eight character codes. For those of you in the computer business, this sounds like Y2K all over again.

Then, what is the reason?

I think one of the reasons was the pressure on the Reviewers when they denied a Virtual cache because it didn't have enough "WOW" factor, a very subjective thing.

People who couldn't get their Virtual cache approved would get all upset about it and that was bad for the hard-working, volunteer, cache reviewers.

How the Virtual in the vicinity of the dead bear carcass ever got approved :ph34r: , I do not know, but that might have been the death knell for Virtuals . . . :D