Chapion Cache Placer

Hi All, After another afternoon finding some more excellent Siloans caches, I wondered who owns the most caches in the UK. Siloans has 91 at the moment and is going strong. He has encouraged me to get a lot more fresh (and yes at times very fresh!) air this Winter with the family. I reckon Epping Forest and surroundings must have one of the biggest concentrations of caches in the UK???

I believe the numbers are adrift because the Wombles have some caches outside the UK, or Reverse/locationless (perhaps)

My 120 includes two adopted from The Hornet, but excludes two set with Dan 'Rocky Balboa' Wilson in Oxford. So it's about right. I've not put any new ones out since November 2005 so I expect to be overtaken any time soon, probably by Snaik. As I got to this heady number of caches by accident more than design, I won't begrudge losing the UK title. :lol:

As for the most caches in a small area, I suspect Oxford may be well worth a look.

As I got to this heady number of caches by accident more than design, I won't begrudge losing the UK title. :mad:

Sorry if I've missed something, but how do you "accidentally" hide that many caches (and, more to the point, still have time to go out finding other peoples' caches)?

Go for a walk along the Ridgeway with a bag full of caches which has an unfortunate hole in one corner?....

Only joking, the RW series actually includes a lot of sneakiness and variety of caches and cache placing.

And sizes, locations, atmospheres, views, terrains, environments... Every RR cache was hand crafted and debated over! I promise. Anyway, it was putting this power-trail out which 'accidentally' took me over 100 hides. And I have time to find other's caches because I MAKE time, lol! :mad:

Edited by Simply Paul

Hi All, After another afternoon finding some more excellent Siloans caches, I wondered who owns the most caches in the UK. Siloans has 91 at the moment and is going strong. He has encouraged me to get a lot more fresh (and yes at times very fresh!) air this Winter with the family. I reckon Epping Forest and surroundings must have one of the biggest concentrations of caches in the UK???

Did a joint FTF on Snaiks 121st cache yesterday - and have heard rumours that there may be some "lost" caches of his out there somewhere too!!!! :D

Biggest concentration of caches on the UK? - Try Perth!!! - Cache capital of Scotland (Try a search from postcode PH1 1AA)

I am coming so keep a look out as a rule I hide as i find new ones only in area's I can look after

London Essex Suffolk I think I have 102 but it's only March ha ha

144 and counting 30/04/2006 catch me if you can as i sit here with 6 caches waiting for new locations 150 is my main target and down hill till 200

How do you keep on top of them all, with a planned 200 caches you'll spend most of your spare time on maintenance visits (1 per 4 months = 600 visits per year)? We spent March hidding rather than Finding and with all the research and preparation it has a draw all of its own. But you sart wanting to place on English Nature/National Trust/Stately Home parkland and suddenly you find yourself spending days setting up meetings with landowners and putting them at ease about the nature of caching - seems there are some renegade Letterboxers out there digging holes and hiding things inside walls.

Having never met a Renegade Letterboxer I imagine they go out there on 500cc single pot Norton's looking a bit like Ogre the Biker, ripping up tracks and leaving gates open. Have a look at Dartmoor National park which has over 5000 unregulated hides.

In case you wonder, (given that I've placed 3 Letterbox Hybrids) and have one more on the way - I enjoy the creative work that goes into designing the stamp but condem the damage done to GeoCaches/Orienteers/Wayfarers by the unregulated murky world of renegade Letterboxing.

I know when I'm beat ^_^

I think Perth Pathfinders were top-dogs for a while too, and Siloans is now at 144, with Snaik up to 140 at the moment. I can't look after my 128 as well as I'd like to, so will be thinning them out in future rather than adding to them much.

Edited by Simply Paul

Isn't there a danger the the "race" to place the most caches will just encourage caches to be placed for the sake of an extra number - another cache in the stats - with no real thought going into why it's being placed?

I have 38 caches in various spots in Cornwall.. and I'm getting close to being able to look after them all. I'd not stand a chance of looking after 200.

I have done 88 of Siloans caches and it's quite amazing how he finds locations that survive and, when maintenance becomes an issue, he is on top of it. I will admit that since this thread started he has begun to place a lot of micros probably to get his numbers up and some of these are in locations below his usual standard.

As I am close to his cachement ( ^_^ ) area I do find it annoying (joke) that I clear out my first few pages on GC.com only to find he has placed some more - another four this weekend (so far)!

Keep them coming Simon but try and set some more of the dog walking type caches that I like!

i dont think this competition should be about numbers, but rather top quality caches, i would rather spend a whole day trying to find one really good cache than driving down a road hopping out every few hundred meters to grab a cache from a bush.

Especially in my area i think cachers need to be more origonal as almost all of the caches i have found were placed by the bottom of a tree, I can say personally that my first cache is bog standard, however my second cache is more origonal and i take alot of pride in that.

However after saying all that i wouldnt mind some number pushing caches :mad:

i dont think this competition should be about numbers, but rather top quality caches, i would rather spend a whole day trying to find one really good cache than driving down a road hopping out every few hundred meters to grab a cache from a bush.

Especially in my area i think cachers need to be more origonal as almost all of the caches i have found were placed by the bottom of a tree, I can say personally that my first cache is bog standard, however my second cache is more origonal and i take alot of pride in that.

However after saying all that i wouldnt mind some number pushing caches :(

To be fair there are two types of caches that I am interested in placing

And they are very different by design

The first type is without doubt my favourite type nice and easy out in the woods and large enough for proper swapping.

This does create it own problem as you don’t want it to be discovered by accident but want it large enough for the kids and travel bugs

Now to be fair we have tons of great parks forest and walks round here in London/Essex

And there are still quite a few that need me to visit them

This is the dog kid and afternoon walking type

Now the second type is even easier round here it’s the interesting location worth a visit

Such as near a museum or canal unfortunately due to there location require smaller cache type boxes or film canisters. I travel far and wide every week and am finding it harder to plane trips to look for caches due to caches changing over night we all have looked for a cache that’s moved up the road or disabled for maintenance.

Non and I hope I am right of my caches are placed for numbers I currently have 35 boxes 1.2 litre boxes ready to go but am waiting for the right time to start up again

I also take caches out with me for that look at that type of caching chance when we just come across things that we didn’t know where there.

So to sum up I get more pleasure sharing than finding and where they are of sub standard location will archive without a second thought.

152 and still going inspired by your comments I shall continue Simon aka siloans aka daddy