Paperless Caching With A Pocket Pc

I have an old HP Jornada Pocket PC that I take with me sometimes. I had GSAK generate HTML pages for all the pocket queries. At one time I was carrying the whole state of Oklahoma and whatever overlapped into other states, I believe it was approx. 3000 caches.

I set GSAK to generate with name, placed by, waypoint code, found date, found by me date, with travel bugs, unfound caches, cache density and distance and bearing from certain cities. On the individual cache pages it would show the 40 nearest caches by distance and bearing. Clicking on one of the 40 nearest caches would take me to that cache page and show another 40 caches listed at the bottom.

If you have GSAK you can try generating HTML right on your computer to play with it and see if it is sometning you want on your PPC.

GPX Sonar would not load for me, probably the PPC OS is too old.

I have an Axim X50V, here in the UK.

I just use Memory Map. There's a macro written for GSAK that exports a csv file of whatever caches you've filtered for importing into MM. (search the UK forum)

It uses different logos for different cache types, if they are archived, if they have a TB in, if they are unavailable.

I use GSAK to generate html files and sync them with my PDA using MobSync.

Now I can click on a cache in MM, sdelect Go to File, and the downloaded cache page will open in IE.

Unless its a mulipart cache or the like I don't take paper.

Great!

Oh, and I use an Aquapac to keep it dry in the field!!

I use both CacheMate (for PPC) and GSAK HTML. For some purposes I like CacheMate better, and for some HTML. I load the info for CacheMate via SD card, then format the card and load HTML...leaving that in my Dell X51v. Only takes two minutes to load both.

I use GSAK's HTML export for my iPaq 3600. This older PocketPC is running PPC2002, so this was the easiest (only?) option. There is no upgrage path to PPC2003, which I think GPxSonar and CacheMate require.

I actually really enjoy the simple HTML export and interface. I have 250 local caches (~10 mi radius) in one file. The alpha lookup, then NearestCaches link really works well for me. It is really all I need.

I have also loaded the HTML file to my cell phone (MOT smartphone). This is more portable than the iPaq, but the display is just a tad small :lol:

Ok I must be doing something completely wrong. How do I get details about the cache including the logs and the hints.

I ran a pocket query and uploaded it into GSAK, I can open up GSAK and see all of they waypoints but no hints, not logs, no detail.

I was able to load the data into my PDA with GPX Sonar but again no detail.

At this point I would rather just go back to printing out a bunch of pages unless someone can explain an easy way to do it paperless

Ok I must be doing something completely wrong. How do I get details about the cache including the logs and the hints.

I ran a pocket query and uploaded it into GSAK, I can open up GSAK and see all of they waypoints but no hints, not logs, no detail.

I was able to load the data into my PDA with GPX Sonar but again no detail.

At this point I would rather just go back to printing out a bunch of pages unless someone can explain an easy way to do it paperless

Dump your .gpx file directly onto the Pocket PC (skip using GSAK). Open the .gpx in GPXSonar. Tap and hold to reveal hints. Tap once to open a web page in Pocket Internet Explorer that gives the cache description and the last five logs.

I personally love cachemate.I was using gpxsonar before and it is much slower than cachemate to open.It doesnt elp that my database holds over 4000 entries but in cachmate it opens in under 5 seconds took 45 or so with gpxsonar.I also use the cachenav plugin with a bluetooth gps reciever to locate caches with cachemate.

How did you try to install cachemate.It comes in a cab file so you just copy the file you download onto your ipaq then run it from there it doesnt install from your PC

Ipaq HX2750 624mhz 256mbmemory and 5gbof storage

Sirf3 oncourse bluetooth reciever

Running cachemate and mapopolis through gpsgate for a total caching solution

You're half right... GPXSonar needs 2003. CacheMate is just fine with 2002.

maeglin,

I never could get cachemate to work on my iPaq 3600 (ppc 2002). I can get the first page to appear, but subsequent links only produce blank pages. I upgraded from ppc2000 to ppc2002 hoping this would help, but I find the same result. (maybe we can take this discussion offline, I'd be happy to work with you on this :laughing:)

I'm using a simple html output from GSAK presently.

(maybe we can take this discussion offline, I'd be happy to work with you on this :laughing:)

That would be great. It sounds like it may be an issue with the HTML control, but I thought I had all of those covered. Send an email to the Smittyware support address and we can go from there.

I have a iPAQ Pocket PC 2495 and when I first bought it I tried half a dozen different caching softwares: Sonar, GSAK and Cachemate to name a few. The one I stuck with is GPXView http://strandberg.org/gpxview/ I have never had it freeze up, it's simple, straight forward and does what I need it to do. It's also Freeware (they ask for a donation). If I could change one thing I would like to be able to mark caches as found. Currently you can't edit any of the information. But I don't really need to either. My favorite part is being able to open files individually instead of lumping them all together. I recently took a trip and ran 4 different pocket querries for 4 different regions I would be travelling to. When I got to that area, I set my home coordinated in GPXView, opened the file and then clicked to sort by distance. I HIGHLY recommend this one because it's simple and it's funtional.

I just purchased a Palm Zire 21 for the purpose of paperless caching. It should be delivered in a week or so. I have never worked with pocket queries or with a PDA. There are so many different types of equipment and programs I don't know where to start. I sure want to keep it simple. I use a Dell laptop to communicate with Geocaching .com. I can get the Pocket queiries in GPX, form sent to my gmail account. Then what?. I use a Garmin Vista CX GPSr so I am guessing I still load the geocache coordinates directly to it using the Loc. file. Then I have to send the Pocket Query to a program on my laptop or does it go straight to a program in my Palm Zire 21? Cachemate, GSAK, and a lot of other programs have been mentioned here in the forums. That is where i'm getting confused.

I want to use the PDA to open a cache, see the information about the hints and description, I'd like to see the map to make it easier to drive to the area the cache is in. Finally I'd want to mark that cache as found.

I can't really begin putting the plan into action until I get the PDA but I do want to begin learning the process.

All your help will be greatly appreciated.

timk54

First, you'll need a program to interpret the gpx files and convert them to a readable format on your PDA. I use GSAK and Cachemate and highly recommend this combination. You'll need to spend 8 bucks or so for the Cachemate program but it is well worth it. Of course, you can try it out for free but are limited to 10 caches. With it, you'll be able to see everything you would normally on your laptop screen (cache description, hints, even dozens of past logs). Here's the process I go through to update Cachemate:

Open email with gpx files

Save the zip file to hard drive

Find file and drag to GSAK

Make sure I have the right database selected

Once updated, select "export" in file menu

Select "Cachmate PDB file"

Select my profile from palm desktop quick install

Then when you run cachemate on palm it will have you go through the install

You're done!

There's probably an easier way to do this, but it works for my needs. Once you've found the cache out in the field simply select "move record" from the "record" menu and move it to another database such as one named "found". Then it won't show up again when you're out looking for new caches.

I just purchased a Palm Zire 21 for the purpose of paperless caching. It should be delivered in a week or so. I have never worked with pocket queries or with a PDA. There are so many different types of equipment and programs I don't know where to start. I sure want to keep it simple. I use a Dell laptop to communicate with Geocaching .com. I can get the Pocket queiries in GPX, form sent to my gmail account. Then what?. I use a Garmin Vista CX GPSr so I am guessing I still load the geocache coordinates directly to it using the Loc. file. Then I have to send the Pocket Query to a program on my laptop or does it go straight to a program in my Palm Zire 21? Cachemate, GSAK, and a lot of other programs have been mentioned here in the forums. That is where i'm getting confused.

I want to use the PDA to open a cache, see the information about the hints and description, I'd like to see the map to make it easier to drive to the area the cache is in. Finally I'd want to mark that cache as found.

I can't really begin putting the plan into action until I get the PDA but I do want to begin learning the process.

All your help will be greatly appreciated.

timk54