Pocket Cache

Pocket Cache \`pah-keht cash\ n : a geocache hidden in the pocket of a geocacher attending an event cache, "found" by asking the person if they are holding a cache. ("Is that a pocket cache, or are you just glad to see me?") See also "temporary event cache" and "numbers ho."

Been at this sport for nearly 5 years and its the first I ever heard of that one.

numbers ho? pocket cache? event?

Boy do I have a fun idea of where I'm going to hide a geocoin or two or three for the next event cache I go to!

Bear in mind that it is considered good form to clear any "pocket caches" with the event organizer. Since such a temporary cache does not qualify for listing under the Geocaching.com guidelines, the only way to get a smiley face for finding one is to log a multiple "attended" log on the event page. As such, pocket caches and other event caches are set up and logged according to the rules set by the cache owner/event organizer.

Around here pocket caches at events are typically the event host's archived caches. Logs with GCID are given to the newcomers. It's a great mixer. You want that smiley, you have to introduce yourself to folks, the fresh faces. Get the newcomers into the group, instead of the usual coteries of geo-buddies. The pocket caches carriers can be switched around over the course of the event, to prevent people from just homing in the known carriers.

This practice is not without controversy. But I like it better than logging multiple "attended" on the event itself.

Team Hemishpere Dancer, the problem with your new pocket cache is that folks who find it first at an event or on the trail will likely never hunt it in place. It will show for them as already found.

It's a traditional cache with a bonus second smiley if you meet the cache owner on the trail or at an event. The first smiley is compliant with the listing guidelines. The second one is fluff, left to the cache owner's discretion. I'd be delighted to hunt the traditional cache to earn a smiley, and also to meet the cache owner at an event to thank him for hiding a cache. Personally I don't require a second smiley for that, but to each his own.

Team Hemishpere Dancer, the problem with your new pocket cache is that folks who find it first at an event or on the trail will likely never hunt it in place. It will show for them as already found.

If you read the guidelines of the cache page there is something that the finders of the actual cache need to ask me to find the second half of it. So they need to goto the actual cache first to find the second one. This just meant to have something a bit differant and to meet more people at events and on the trail. I may think about putting cards in it that need to be redeemed to be granted access to the second part. I will wait and see what works better.

If you read the guidelines of the cache page there is something that the finders of the actual cache need to ask me to find the second half of it. So they need to goto the actual cache first to find the second one. This just meant to have something a bit differant and to meet more people at events and on the trail. I may think about putting cards in it that need to be redeemed to be granted access to the second part. I will wait and see what works better.

I think thats a great idea. This is a good reason that a good part (and fun part) of caching is reading other caches. There are a handful of very good ideas out there. This could possibly even draw other caches to your cache and then to the events you post as upcoming. I would find that an interesting personal challenge.

And as far as needing approval from an event coordinator ... Why would it? That would be absurd.

"Nope. Sorry. I'm not allowing any socializing at this event. Cards or no cards, you WILL NOT disrupt my event!"

I think forum posters should have an event and sit across from each other and fire water pistols at others. LOL (Now, I'm waiting for some *serious* person to post some fiery message about how that just would not be right!)

Remember, if you toss a cat and it still lands on its feet, you just aren't throwing it correctly.

Edited by LifeOnEdge!