New Cache Notifications

Merrill Misfits

Has anyone else been having trouble receiving notices that a New Cache has been published? We have been receiving some, but not others. It has nothing to do with distance. We received one that was 10 miles from our house and others that were 45-50 miles away. There are other caches in between that distance that we have not received.

Yes - I haven't been getting any lately. Oh wait, that's because nobody's been out hiding anything lately! [B)]

InstaNotify is still in beta:

The Geocaching Insta-Notify service is a Groundspeak Premium Member feature. As new logs are posted to Geocaching.com you can get an instant email sent to you with the contents of that log entry. the Insta-Notify feature is experimental and is not yet approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

Yes - I haven't been getting any lately. Oh wait, that's because nobody's been out hiding anything lately! [B)]

InstaNotify is still in beta:

The Geocaching Insta-Notify service is a Groundspeak Premium Member feature. As new logs are posted to Geocaching.com you can get an instant email sent to you with the contents of that log entry. the Insta-Notify feature is experimental and is not yet approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

It's never worked for me. I've had mine set to notify me of Traditional, Multi and Unknown caches within 10 miles of my house and have still never received a notice about a new cache. The only way I am able to find out about new caches is to wait for the weekly email or to do a manual search on the site for new caches. By then, half my comrades have already found the new caches before I even knew they existed.

If the InstaNotify isn't working, you could create a new PQ just for caches that haven't been found yet. B)

Submit it without choosing a day for it to run. Then look at the results of the Search.

Bookmark that page, or leave the page open in your browser (Firefox or Opera), and then refresh the page whenever the FTF urge hits. B)

It's been working flawlessly for me.

99% of all problem mentioned previously regarding PQs and InstaNotifies, have been related to the email delivery. And 90% was on the receiver's end, usually related to spam filtering or over-quota attachment sizes.

Get a Gmail account, add noreply@geocaching.com to your senders list, and you'll most likely never have problems again.

I've had a few not come through, but that was a while ago when the service was just released. It's been working just fine for me. One in a while it takes longer than I would expect (30-60 minutes), but usually they show up within a couple minutes of being listed.

Has anyone else been having trouble receiving notices that a New Cache has been published? We have been receiving some, but not others. It has nothing to do with distance. We received one that was 10 miles from our house and others that were 45-50 miles away. There are other caches in between that distance that we have not received.

Don't you have to set up an instant notify for each type of cache? Could that be why your not getting any notifications?

Don't you have to set up an instant notify for each type of cache? Could that be why your not getting any notifications?

THANK YOU ZIGGY CREW!!! That's what it was. The new caches that we haven't been getting were all puzzle/unknown caches. I didn't even remember ever setting those up, I thought it was something automatic just based on your home coordinates.