Legend C Memory Question

Can anyone tell me how much map territory I can cover with the Legend C memory (24 meg, I think)? Let's just say we're using mapsource city select and I want to drive around the east coast starting in Arkansas and hitting everything from Florida to Pennsylvania. IF I shell out the dough (and I really want to), this will be my first so I want to get it right the first time around.

thanks. :)

I didn't put the City Select maps for the East Coast on my computer, so I can't tell you, however, where you have lots of streets, like on the East Coast, the map detail eats up the memory pretty quickly.

I have City Select for all of San Diego County (huge county) and the route almost to Las Vegas, plus some Topo maps loaded into the 24 MB of my Garmin Vista C.

If you travel with your laptop, you can quickly change the mapsets as you travel because the USB connection is fast.

Good thing you asked here first! 24MB ain't gonna be NEAR enough space. Using City Select version 5 and plotting a route from Little Rock to Orlando to Philadelphia and back to Little Rock - it would take a MINIMUM of 131MB to have the maps loaded for that trip!

Two ways around it:

1. Get a LegendCx (and a 256MB [or better yet 512MB] memory card)

2. Bring a laptop computer with you and load the maps into the unit as needed

My 2¢...

If you need a laptop for school anyway, you might as well get it now along with the LegendC. Besides uploading maps to the GPSr, you can also download your tracks from the GPSr and save them for posterity! The unit's 10,000 trackpoint memory will fill up in about 2 to 3 days depending on how much tracking you do per day. Although Garmin boasts "20 saved tracks" in the specifications, "saving" a track on the GPSr means losing some important data such as date, time, and speed - all you have left is a series of connected dots. Saving the unit's "active log" to the computer retains all of that data!

As another option (if you're traveling alone), you could just leave the GPSr connected to the laptop and let the laptop do the navigating and tracking the whole time.

My 2¢...

If you need a laptop for school anyway, you might as well get it now along with the LegendC. Besides uploading maps to the GPSr, you can also download your tracks from the GPSr and save them for posterity!

If your going to spend the bucks on a laptop and Legend C at the same time then what's another $50?

Spend the extra $50 now and go for the Legend Cx with the laptop. :)

Edited by Milbank

I take my GPSr pretty much wherever I go, and save all the tracks when the log gets about 60% to 80% full. I never know when I might wanna know, "When did I go to the bank?" That's about a download every 3 weeks or so for me.

When I take a trip like mustangSally!'s gonna take, I'm especially careful to track and save everything

My 2¢...

If you need a laptop for school anyway, you might as well get it now along with the LegendC. Besides uploading maps to the GPSr, you can also download your tracks from the GPSr and save them for posterity!

If your going to spend the bucks on a laptop and Legend C at the same time then what's another $50?

Here's the thing... the CX is going for $299 but Gander Mtn is getting rid of their legend C packages from Christmas for $249! That includes the gps, topo map software, cig lighter plug, and the thing that holds it on your belt. It might possibly include something else too, but I can't remember what. The box also said the holder to put it on your bike is in there but then there's a tiny little sticker on the bottom of the box that says that it was a misprint and that piece is not in there (sigh). Not a bad deal if I use the topo map.

My 2¢...

Here's the thing... the CX is going for $299 but Gander Mtn is getting rid of their legend C packages from Christmas for $249! That includes the gps, topo map software, cig lighter plug, and the thing that holds it on your belt. It might possibly include something else too, but I can't remember what. The box also said the holder to put it on your bike is in there but then there's a tiny little sticker on the bottom of the box that says that it was a misprint and that piece is not in there (sigh). Not a bad deal if I use the topo map.

Not a bad price at all for the extras you are getting.

I seen gpsnow.com had the Legend Cx for $250 that is were I had bought my last couple units.

I called around and found a local (kind of local) place that had the Legend Cx for $299 and when I told them I was calling around to check prices they told me if I come down and buy it there they would give me $30 off, so I did buy it there. :rolleyes:

When I got there I seen there ad at the front door and they had the Legend C for $199 in there ad, no extra's.

I think any geocacher will find topo maps handy on there gps and at $250 with the extra's you are getting I would say that is a very fair price.

Gander Mtn is getting rid of their legend C packages from Christmas for $249! That includes the gps, topo map software, cig lighter plug, and the thing that holds it on your belt.

I believe that is a very good deal! But IMHO, one of the best features of these units is autorouting! But you need street maps with routing data (like City Select) to get your GPSr to autoroute properly. That's about another $100 on top. Caching in unfamiliar territory like that, I'd say it's a must-have!

Gander Mtn is getting rid of their legend C packages from Christmas for $249! That includes the gps, topo map software, cig lighter plug, and the thing that holds it on your belt.

I believe that is a very good deal! But IMHO, one of the best features of these units is autorouting! But you need street maps with routing data (like City Select) to get your GPSr to autoroute properly. That's about another $100 on top. Caching in unfamiliar territory like that, I'd say it's a must-have!

yea, I've already been researching the software too--there's no getting around getting it new. That's one reason why I'm not ruling out the Street Pilots -- I'm pretty sure they already have the software installed. We'll be using the gps on the road most of the time but I want to use it to geocache as well as just hiking or bike riding.

Try to look for an older used copy of Mapsource to save some bucks. I think the major roads have not changed much in five years, so maybe you can get away with an older version (do not beat me up on this people!). I always like printed paper maps (like from Microsoft Streets & Trips), and an actual commercial road map

Ever see that commercial yet where the guy drives into the store because he is OBEYING his voice GPS? I know, I know, it is an urban legend, but I could see some people doing that.

I am using my Legend C for GPS in the woods on foot, when I could drop it.

If I want road navigation I need $150 for the road kit? Come on!! Better to spend $100 more and get a second gps, get the Ique 3600 PDA so you can do more. Be my clone!!! :) I am going to try to put Ique mapsource maps on my Legend C since I own both (both in the mail) and I think the activation/authorization code for mapsource might work with two units maximum. Hope I am right, but we will see.

Edited by Ellteejak