Map Space On A 1 Gig Card

Can anyone give me an idea on how much of the US will fit on a 1 gig card?

like what states (I am talking full details)

Thanks

I am going to assume based on your other posts you are referring to a Garmin MapSource product such as City Navigator with a 60 C(S)x. All of City Select (and City Nav) is just over 1.5 gig. So the answer to your question is "It depends". If you are willing to leave out densly populated areas, then you don't have to give up as much geographic area than if you were willing to leave out less populated areas such as Montana, Wyoning, and Utah (with apologies to residents in those states). What kind of trip are you planning? There are many users here that will tell you if it will fit.

Can anyone give me an idea on how much of the US will fit on a 1 gig card?

like what states (I am talking full details)

Thanks

I have a GPSMap 60Cx with a 512mb micro SD. I am able to fit, with all detail and POI's, from the upper peninsula of MI south to northern Alabama...and Missouri east to Maryland.

Edited by Wojo65

I have a GPSMap 60Cx with a 1G micro SD. I am able to fit, with all detail and POI's, from the upper peninsula of MI south to northern Alabama...and Missouri east to Maryland.

Off topic and I apologize... but where did you get your 1Gig MicroSD card Wojo65?

Thanks in advance!

In CSNA v. 5, Everything WEST of the Mississippi fits into about 600MB. Everything EAST fits into about 820MB. I would expect later versions to contain slightly more data. But generally speaking, you could fit the entire US onto two 1GB TransFlash cards.

I think my buddy got all of the US on 1gig; Mapsend

MapSend is a Magellan product. I detected a Garmin flavor in this thread... :P

Edited by Neo_Geo

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...oductCode=82989

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/s.nl/sc.2.../it.A/id.953/.f

Both are backordered though.

I have a GPSMap 60Cx with a 1G micro SD. I am able to fit, with all detail and POI's, from the upper peninsula of MI south to northern Alabama...and Missouri east to Maryland.

Off topic and I apologize... but where did you get your 1Gig MicroSD card Wojo65?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by lumpynose

Both are backordered though.

Yes, I have one on order through Outpost myself with an expected April 2nd delivery date. However Wojo65 seemed to indicate that he already had a 1GB microSD card in his posession and I'd love to know where he got it since they're not shipping yet from anywhere I've seen.

Thanks!

Correction on this post...momentary brain lapse. :( I have a 512mb card, not a 1G. Sorry 'bout that. :o

I picked this card up from CDW...they also had the 1G cards, but not in stock. Everybody I checked with also had the 1G cards on backorder. I wanted to play with my GPS immediately, so I went with the 512mb. For me, I'm glad that I didn't spend the extra $ on the 1G. The 512 gives me the all the memory space I need for what I'm doing. CDW isn't the most competitively priced at their list prices, but the company I work for gets a pretty good discount.

Edited by Wojo65

Correction on this post...momentary brain lapse. :D I have a 512mb card, not a 1G. Sorry 'bout that. :)

I picked this card up from CDW...they also had the 1G cards, but not in stock. Everybody I checked with also had the 1G cards on backorder. I wanted to play with my GPS immediately, so I went with the 512mb. For me, I'm glad that I didn't spend the extra $ on the 1G. The 512 gives me the all the memory space I need for what I'm doing. CDW isn't the most competitively priced at their list prices, but the company I work for gets a pretty good discount.

Cool! Thanks for the info Wojo65... I thought maybe there was a secret supplier we could get one sooner from. :D Oh well, I'll continue to wait. I've not needed more than the 64mb that comes in my 60CSx yet, so I'm still good until vacation season and I'm travelling around.