Geocoins?

grp318

I just ordered a dozen geocoins to put in the caches I plan to hide. I know you can track them, but do people keep the forever, or will someone take it and place it somewhere else? Its my understanding with travel bugs, people will take them and drop'em off in another cache. Are geocoins the same way?

My experience has been that it depends on who finds the geocoin. Most cachers will move the coin to another place if they know that is what you want done. I usually place a note with my coin together in a small plastic bag. The note simply asks that they coin be moved and logged. This seems to work pretty well. Of course, you will also find that some folks collect coins and will keep it no matter what your wishes are. One trick that works is to buy geocoins which are readily available (not limited editions!) since collectors are less likely to covet these coins. :anicute:

I have out a coin that I value from last year's GeoBash! I did not want it in someone's collection. I encased it between two thing slabs of wood with most of the coin showing on both sides through the hole and both sides with a plastic "view screen." Then there's a message on the wood under the varnish. My hope is that it will follow it's goal and never be stolen. It's working in the early stages.

I know one Canadian cacher with a whole batch of coins which he takes to events and allows many people to log them and view them there.

Oh, and I think the new guidelines will require that at least 10 other cachers know you by sight.

Edited by Robespierre

We released a geocoin almost a year ago, and it has been successfully (and surprisingly) traveling from cache to cache ever since. When we bought it, we also got a little plastic sleeve for it at the same time (I think it was maybe 50 extra cents). We tucked a little note in the sleeve; one side shows the coin's name and goal; the other side (not visible in the picture below) lists these logging instructions:

Please do not keep this!

This coin is tracked on geocaching.com

just like a travel bug. (Tracking #-----)

Place it in another cache after logging.

www.geocaching.com/track

ab525bc0-cc71-473f-97c9-622ac04216a4.jpg

I think that coins that are simply dropped "naked" into caches are much more likely to disappear -- sometimes they are taken by poeple who know better, but I imagine that a lot of people just innocently think that they are trade items, since they have no instructions with them.

I released 3 NJ geocoins, each in a small ziploc, along with a laminated note asking that it be moved from cache to cache for others to enjoy and not to be collected.

One lasted a week before it disappeared and the others are still circulating as far as I know.

Unfortunately there are some geocachers who are so focused on collecting these things that they throw their integrity out the window to get one.

Its so bad that some people photocopy the coin, laminate it and send that out, rather than risking the original.

I've seen others drill holes in the coins or etch their name on them to make them less desirable to collectors.

Kind of sad that it has to come to that.

Edited by briansnat

I have out a coin that I value from last year's GeoBash! I did not want it in someone's collection. I encased it between two thing slabs of wood with most of the coin showing on both sides through the hole and both sides with a plastic "view screen." Then there's a message on the wood under the varnish. My hope is that it will follow it's goal and never be stolen. It's working in the early stages.

There is a commercial alternative to your slab... they make acrylic "coin slabs", similar to air-tites (and can be bought at the same places) but it is rectangular with an area to attach paper inside with your instructions.

jpscorner is where I have bought some of them.

Nothing will stop someone that wants to keep it from keeping it though, the suggestions here pretty much just help someone that hasn't run into geocoins before understand that they are just like TBs and meant to travel from cache to cache. (unless otherwise noted with the coin, such as FTF prizes)

My coins (Idaho GeoCoins) are not trackable. They are specifically designed for the collector to keep. I have another issue with them though. Two weeks ago I placed one of them in a cache in Colorado. I checked on the cache logs the other day and found that a cacher traded a quarter for it. I somehow find it hard to believe that anyone would consider this a fair trade.

I have only found one geocoins in a cache. I had assumed that I could trade one of my coins for it and keep it in my collection since there was no note with it. The cacher that hid this coin later notified me of its true purpose and I sent it on its way. Moral of that story is make sure the finder knows your intent.

:P

NEVER start any traveler ..... bug or geocoin ..... that will make you upset if it becomes lost or confiscated. I've gotten a nice geocoin as a FTF prize. Those who are new to the game may not know their value. :P ImpalaBob

When I release a traveller I realize that it may get lost along the way. Caches are stolen, well meaning people take them and lose them, etc... But I do get mildly upset when a geocacher deliberately removes a traveler from circulation against the owner's wishes, just to add to his collection.

If you really intent anything to be a traveller... Attach something to it that states that it is a traveller, and its specific mission if it has one. Do NOT assume that the finder will know that a geocoin sitting in a cache is a traveller and not just swag, even if it says "trackable" on it.

That goes for any traveller, a geocoin or a TB. having such a note will greatly improve its odds for actually travelling. Though nothing will guarantee it.