U.s. Gpsr In Europe?

japer

There are no issues. :smile: This is why is it a GLOBAL Positioning System reciever. I have used my in Japan, U.K. and the Netherlands.

Only thing to remember, Latitude lines increase ABOVE zero as you go East in the Eastern Hemishere. The GPSr knows this, but may seem backwards to the operator. :smile:

California is W121 (-121) , NY is W072 (-72)

Netherlands are E005 (+005) , India is E073 (+073)

Cache away....

yeah we even have this modern thing called electricity available in some special locations!!!

But what about dentists? Got them yet?

Anyway, I know about Lat. and Long. and Greenwich and all the e/w stuff. My obviously-poorly-written query attempted to ask why all the satellites that my unit could see were on the extreme western horizon (as displayed on the unit). None ever got more than 15 degrees or so off the western horizon. Am I only seeing the one in geosynchronous orbit above the U.S.?

If, as one poster noted, that it is indeed GLOBAL (thanks for yelling 'cause I'm hard of hearing), then why did I not see any satellites overhead while in Europe?

This sounds more like a problem with your unit. I have cached on both coasts of the US as well as in the UK and the sats were scattered about the sky just as you would expect. I have never seen this kind of clustering that you describe.

What unit are you using and what kind of EPEs is it giving you? That kind of geometry should give very poor EPEs.

I mentioned the E/W thing because I made that mistake while caching in the UK.

No problem. Just don't mix up E with W since most of the caches will be East longitude.

Harder than it sounds if you're caching back and forth across the line. Between that, and the local topo maps being in the Ordnance Survey datum, I was forever punching in bum coords in the UK.

However, I was astonished at how many satellites I got, compared to how I do in the US. Several times, I picked up as many satellites as my unit was capable of receiving. And a nice big black bar, too. So I second the notion that the OP's unit was playing him up.

Pardon me, I'm sure, for making such a personal observation.

There are no issues. :D This is why is it a GLOBAL Positioning System reciever. I have used my in Japan, U.K. and the Netherlands.

Only thing to remember, Latitude lines increase ABOVE zero as you go East in the Eastern Hemishere. The GPSr knows this, but may seem backwards to the operator. :)

California is W121 (-121) , NY is W072 (-72)

Netherlands are E005 (+005) , India is E073 (+073)

Cache away....

Opps, my bad. :smile:

I meant to say "Longitude lines increase ABOVE zero as you go East in the Eastern Hemishere."

I also had no issues with overhead sats. They were spread out just as I see them here in the States.

Teald024