Pocket Queries

thefords

I downloaded Isilox to handle my PQ, When i go onto my Palm M515 i see the query there but it is telling me i have to log in. Do I need and internet conncetion on my PDA to make this work? I was hoping to download the the info pages to make searching somewhat easier for my kids and I.

Thanks

I downloaded Isilox to handle my PQ, When i go onto my Palm M515 i see the query there but it is telling me i have to log in. Do I need and internet conncetion on my PDA to make this work? I was hoping to download the the info pages to make searching somewhat easier for my kids and I.

Thanks

That program appears to take web documents in HTML and similar formats and make them viewable on your PDA. The PQ comes as a GPX file which is XML type file that contains the data included on a cache listing but no formatting. You will need something else to view the data on your Palm. A Palm user can probably steer you the right way.

Cachemate is an $8 program for Palm and is well worth it. It allow you to seach for the nearest cache and input notes. The program comes with a free coverter program or you can use GSAK, once the converters file is made you just hotsync and it download it to cachemate. Very simple.

Edited by Polar B's

Cachemate is an $8 program for Palm and is well worth it. It allow you to seach for the nearest cache and input notes. The program comes with a free coverter program or you can use GSAK, once the converters file is made you just hotsync and it download it to cachemate. Very simple.

An additional question. Is it possible to load caches on to the pda en masse?

An additional question. Is it possible to load caches on to the pda en masse?

Through a single pocket query you can load 500 caches at a time. If you have GSAK you can combine PQ and filter them however you want

I use Spinner to process them and then drop the index.htm file into Plucker Desktop and send the thing to my palm with a quick hot synch. Works great and the resultant pages look just like the geocaching.com web pages.

Just out of curiosity, I would assume the links don't work (unless you download the link too)

but can you decode the hint or do you have to do that be hand? Is there a way to search for the nearest cache from your present location. Always looking for different ways to do things.

Edited by Polar B's

I just tap the "hint" link and I get the decoded hint. You can't search for the nearest cache to your location but you CAN list the caches that are nearest to the one you are currently looking at. Links don't work. You could tell it to pull down more info and it will take longer and make a bigger file and then you have some of the links. I played with that with a page that had a number of info links and it did work but I've never bothered doing it again.

You can sort the caches in various ways such as by name, waypoint, etc. You can have different databases on the Palm - each from a different pocket query. I use a crummy old Palm Vx with only 8MB of memory and I can store a truckload of caches - I don't know how many since I've never run out of space. I'd guess it holds somewhere around a bazillion or two. :smile:

You can try Spinner for free and you can continue to use it for free although it does give small "nag" items about registering. I registered it because it's so very useful to me. Plucker is free. You can try GSAK for free as well and it will work for something like 20 days or so before it starts to nag at you. You can still use it but it has a short delay on startup. I registered it as well. It's awesome software and the author deserves the small fee.

Lots of folks use Cachemate and like it but I prefer the Spinner/Plucker combo. Try both methods and decide for yourself which one YOU prefer. After that, I would encourage you to register whichever software you choose.

Gsak and cachemate are the perfect combo for paperless caching!

Ed

TB&TB

okay I installed cachemate,maybe i am just clueless but how do i send the file there. I also tried the spinner and the plucker and got the file sent over but it tells me i need to log in. I do not have internet access on my Palm m515.

Thanks for the help

Ok, I figured this part out, thefords. Make sure you d/l the gpx file first to GSAK. Highlight it in GSAK, then under the FILE options, click on Export. The first option on that pop up menu should to your palm. Just click on it, and it'll basically do the rest, except the hotlink part.

Now the next problem I had was that I could only do one at a time, and had to re-label each one after it was transferred to Cachemate on my palm (tedious). I'm spending more time prepping than actual hunting. I can lose interest real quickly like this.

If you get your data via Pocket Queries and put all those caches in GSAK, you can give the individual caches unique names using the Smart Name feature of GSAK.

The code I use when Exporting to Cachemate and sending waypoints to my GPSr is:

%smart=6 %con1%typ1 %dif1%ter1

When Exporting to Mapsource, I use a little different code:

%smart=6 %con1%typ1 (%dif %ter)

These codes give me the name of the cache first (easier for finding by name), then the Size of Cache and the Type of Container, followed by the Difficulty and Terrain.

Check out the little tutorial. It might help. :smile:

If you get your data via Pocket Queries and put all those caches in GSAK, you can give the individual caches unique names using the Smart Name feature of GSAK.

The code I use when Exporting to Cachemate and sending waypoints to my GPSr is:

%smart=6 %con1%typ1 %dif1%ter1

When Exporting to Mapsource, I use a little different code:

%smart=6 %con1%typ1 (%dif %ter)

These codes give me the name of the cache first (easier for finding by name), then the Size of Cache and the Type of Container, followed by the Difficulty and Terrain.

Check out the little tutorial. It might help. :anibad:

I use %found=* %drop2 for exporting to Cachemate. It shows me the caches that i have found and marks them with an asterisk and then the cache name (less the first to letters 'GC' which are always the same.)

For export to Mapsource for use in my Garmin GPSr I use %drop2 %dif1a%ter1a as the waypoint tag name (which shows up on the screen of the GPSr and drops the 'GC' which isn't needed and shows the difficulty and the terrain), and %smart %typ1/%con1 for the Description field of the waypoint.