Load Poi On Mapsource Metroguide

Suscrofa

Anyone knows of a soft to load on the PC based Mapsource, POI list in CSV format ?

Garmin uses this excel format for POI lists like radar detectors, they also offer POILoader to load it on the GPS but how about loading it to MetroGuide for ex to have them displayed on the maps on the PC ?

Thanks.

Anyone knows of a soft to load on the PC based Mapsource, POI list in CSV format ?

Garmin uses this excel format for POI lists like radar detectors, they also offer POILoader to load it on the GPS but how about loading it to MetroGuide for ex to have them displayed on the maps on the PC ?

Thanks.

Bringing back this post as I haven't yet found a soft to do it. Funny thins the Garmin POI files are csv file with the Long then Lat in signed DDD.DDDDDD followed by a pictogram.

It is supposed to be loaded to the GPS with their soft POILoader but don't see any wya to load the POI on the PCs Mapsource as waypoints ?

Anyone got an idea ?

Sounds like something that would come in a future update. I remember when Garmin gave us Custom Waypoint icons in our color units. First, generic blue circles appeared with our waypoint icons on our units after installing a beta release of a firmware update. Then - a while later - they gave us the xImage program to enable us to manipulate the icons and transfer the images back and forth between the computer and GPSr. It seems like it was about a good month or two after we got xImage that MapSource got an update to support the custom icons.

I imagine a MapSource update is probably on the way to support the custom POIs as well. But - just to be sure - you should probably contact Garmin and voice your desire for the support of that feature.

CLICK HERE to send a message to Garmin's Technical Support.

I just tried to convert .csv file to .gpx and open it up using a mapsource software and it worked (flawlessly!)

I use GPXTOPOI software to convert .gpx file to .csv (vice-versa).

I use mapsource and make a waypoint and save it as .gpx,

Then convert the .gpx file using the gpxtopoi software to create .csv file.

Once you have a .csv file, you can run the garmin POI loader to send it to your GPS unit.

Make sure you keep your .gpx file that you have created for future editing.

Everytime you send a .csv files to your unit using the poi loader, it deletes all Custom POI you previously saved to the unit.

Reading .csv file to mapsource is a lot easier. You have to convert the .csv file to .gpx using the gpxtopoi program. Then open up .gpx file ,that you have created, using mapsource. Those locationS will show up as a waypoint. :smile:

Here is the link : csvtopoi program

http://www.masterclass.com/gpxtopoi/downlo...pxtopoi_110.EXE

Problem with that is that they become waypoints in MapSource. It's a good tool to help in creating the POIs if you're starting out with waypoints in MapSource. But it doesn't do anything to get MapSource to treat the POIs as POIs after your GPSr recognizes them as POIs. Know what I mean...?

Also, it strips away the comment field.

As of now, I have 4 poi gpx files (benchmarks, home, other, etc.) in a folder called custom poi's.

When I run the Garmin poi loader, it grabs all those files & sends them to my 60cx.

He`s right. You can also add .bmp icon for each type of poi.

make sure the bitmap file has 24x24 pixels or lower and the same name as .csv file. (e.g. REDLIGHT.csv and REDLIGHT.bmp)

And if you want the UNIT to warn you of upcoming POI,

you have to name .csv file to either "GATSO," "mobile," "SPECS," "safety," "camera" or "redlight".

More info here:

http://www.gpsinformation.org/penrod/poilo.../poiloader.html

Edited by AWGD8

As of now, I have 4 poi gpx files (benchmarks, home, other, etc.) in a folder called custom poi's.

When I run the Garmin poi loader, it grabs all those files & sends them to my 60cx.

OK but my problem is to load all of them plus the .gdp file on Mapsource Metroguide maps on my PC so to to plan the trip.

I can open the poi gpx file with Mapsource/CN7 or drag the gpx file onto Mapsource & the poi's are displayed on the map on my pc, I'm not sure I understand what you need (my fault not yours). <_<

What I want is to load these POI (speed radar) .GPX and keep all the other waypoints, routes etc... I already have loaded from a saved .gdb file !

The POI file I load (.GPX) destroy the previous informations.

I can open the poi gpx file with Mapsource/CN7 or drag the gpx file onto Mapsource & the poi's are displayed on the map on my pc, I'm not sure I understand what you need (my fault not yours).
;)

What I want is to load these POI (speed radar) .GPX and keep all the other waypoints, routes etc... I already have loaded from a saved .gdb file !

It`s better if you keep them separate, speed_radar.GPX and your regular waypoints file (either .gpx or gdb) while using mapsource.

For POI LOADER- All you can do is make 1 folder (e.g. POI) and put all files in there(files that can be read by POI LOADER e.g. .csv , bmp ???).

Your Unit , when it sees different .csv files will automatically creates a directory : Speed, waypoints, cache, etc...(e.g. depends on how you named your .csv file)

Make sure you direct the link to the folder you have created when running the POI LOADER. POI Loader will automatically grab all .csv files and .bmp (it will prompt you to include speed and feet for proximity alarm only if it sees .csv file with these names:

"GATSO," "mobile," "SPECS," "safety," "camera" or "redlight".

If you don`t have any backup of other POI files you first installed to your unit, then you are out of luck. It will all get deleted when you load new POI`S that doesn`t have old data in there...
;)

I am confused. Are you saying that I CAN or I CAN NOT set up mapsource to indicate PROXIMITY ALARMS if I am near a Geocache? I want my GPS (thinking of Ique 3600 or Legend Color) to let me know or warn me.

I can open the poi gpx file with Mapsource/CN7 or drag the gpx file onto Mapsource & the poi's are displayed on the map on my pc, I'm not sure I understand what you need (my fault not yours).
:rolleyes:

It`s better if you keep them separate, speed_radar.GPX and your regular waypoints file (either .gpx or gdb) while using mapsource.

For POI LOADER- All you can do is make 1 folder (e.g. POI) and put all files in there(files that can be read by POI LOADER e.g. .csv , bmp ???).

Your Unit , when it sees different .csv files will automatically creates a directory : Speed, waypoints, cache, etc...(e.g. depends on how you named your .csv file)

Make sure you direct the link to the folder you have created when running the POI LOADER. POI Loader will automatically grab all .csv files and .bmp (it will prompt you to include speed and feet for proximity alarm only if it sees .csv file with these names:

"GATSO," "mobile," "SPECS," "safety," "camera" or "redlight".

If you don`t have any backup of other POI files you first installed to your unit, then you are out of luck. It will all get deleted when you load new POI`S that doesn`t have old data in there...
:unsure: