GPS Accuracy?

seerauber

My family and I are very new to geocaching; we've only been doing it for less than 2 months.

We were given a Magellan Explorist 200 for Christmas by my in-laws. However, it seems like it is only accurate most of the time to about 25 or 30 feet, and if we are lucky, to about 10 feet at the most. Makes it pretty time consuming to find those micros hidden in the woods sometimes. :laughing:

Are other GPS's more accurate than this? If so, which ones?

My family and I are very new to geocaching; we've only been doing it for less than 2 months.

We were given a Magellan Explorist 200 for Christmas by my in-laws. However, it seems like it is only accurate most of the time to about 25 or 30 feet, and if we are lucky, to about 10 feet at the most. Makes it pretty time consuming to find those micros hidden in the woods sometimes. :laughing:

No, in the woods or near hills, tall buildings, ect, expect 20-50 feet. The highend units can do no better. If it were more accurate then the game would be just to easy!

Some units can hold a lock on satellites better than others by having better antennas, but it doesn't help their accuracy, only their ability to maintain it in slightly worse conditions.

Another thing to consider is that the coordinates are only as good as the unit that placed them. If the coords weren't averaged, or the unit wasn't allowed to stabilize, then the cache coords could be off by 10-20 feet.

On average I'd say you can expect 10-15 feet accuracy on most caches, but some will be dead on, and others will be off by more. (Like the buildings and trees amdkt7 mentioned.)

What everybody else said. My Garmin emap will get about 15' accuracy if I'm not in "battery saver" mode (or sometimes if I am and I stand still long enough) and not near buildings or trees. I almost never find a geocache just by following by GPSr to it. I eventually have to turn the thing off and just start "turning things over" (in a graceful, nondestructive way).

Hi Seerauber, I can well understand your frustration. I only use the Magellan 100 and for one of the least expensive on the market, I'm quite happy with it's abilities. I hit within 15 feet in good terrain. Everything goes along with the old addage "you get what you pay for". I just had property surveyed by pro's with the tripod mounted and was told it was good to within plus or minus three inches max. I can't see paying three grand for one of my own though. As said in the previous replies, thare are lots of variables, averaging the coordinates, accuracy of the owners equipment and geographical conditions. I have a small cache that many people say is not there. A few others say the coordinates are off and a few go right to it. It's between a couple of steel buildings and my readings change everytime I check on it. Kinda changes the ratings for this cache. Have patience, gain experience, learn and have fun. I don't think accuracy is what makes this so intriquing> :D

Everything goes along with the old addage "you get what you pay for"

Maybe with the high end commercial units (like the one I jokingly linked to above), but with consumer grade units there is no difference in accuracy between a $70 iFinder Go, an $90 eXplorist 100 and a $400 unit.

You're right there. The civilian GPS signal is intentionally set to be at best 3m accuracy which is roughly 10ft and that's under ideal conditions. WAAS promises better resolution with correction but rarely will you see better than 10ft. There are so many parameters that affect accuracy that 3m really is excellent. The OP indicates they are getting 25' to 30' that's roughly 7 to 10m. That's very reasonable for consumer grade equipment. The Explorist 200 is working well!!

JDandDD

Everything goes along with the old addage "you get what you pay for"

Maybe with the high end commercial units (like the one I jokingly linked to above), but with consumer grade units there is no difference in accuracy between a $70 iFinder Go, an $90 eXplorist 100 and a $400 unit.

You're right there. The civilian GPS signal is intentionally set to be at best 3m accuracy which is roughly 10ft and that's under ideal conditions. WAAS promises better resolution with correction but rarely will you see better than 10ft. There are so many parameters that affect accuracy that 3m really is excellent. The OP indicates they are getting 25' to 30' that's roughly 7 to 10m. That's very reasonable for consumer grade equipment. The Explorist 200 is working well!!

JDandDD

Even survey quality receivers that cost tens of thousand's of dollars, require mission planning to determine the best time for satellite positions, clear views of the sky, and a lot of them will only punch out coords after being analyzed at a computer back in the office. I doubt a $6,000 Trimble handheld would do much better than a Lowrance given the conditions we put out GPSr's in like tree cover, buildings, and lots of movement.

Even survey quality receivers that cost tens of thousand's of dollars, require mission planning to determine the best time for satellite positions, clear views of the sky, and a lot of them will only punch out coords after being analyzed at a computer back in the office. I doubt a $6,000 Trimble handheld would do much better than a Lowrance given the conditions we put out GPSr's in like tree cover, buildings, and lots of movement.

I am glad to see that there are some Geocachers that are not wrapped up in FTF's and realize that all GPs units are only meant to get you near the cache, not walk you by the hand to the exact location. What fun or adventure is in that? For pete sake, look around a little, make it an adventure. Loose some fat and exercise.

I am also new to the sport, I have had some problems with my GPS unit, I expected more accuracy from it than was possible. So did some of the people looking for the cache. I received emails telling me get out of the sport, your coords are off. Your are making it hard to find, you camoflauge it too much, you are 20-30 feet off. (by who's standard yours or mine?). My GPs says it's here, sorry about yours not being dead on with mine.

Lighten up and put the fun back in the sport. Are you just a statistic hound?

There is a guy in the Sacramento area who gets on everyones case, retired with nothing to do but complain,

go play with Model trains and leave us alone. I am having a blast at my new pas ttime.

Inspecchi

I am the guy in Sacramento

20-30 feet is one thing, but the cache in question had three sets of coordinates post in less that 1 hour. In the second posting you you diasabled the cache and mentioned that cache would be enabled tommorow, I was not the only person that was looknig for it, the first coordinates were .32 miles off, the second set was .08 miles off (around 400 feet) There are about a Dozen FTF hounds in this area. Then after posting the cache would not be enabled untill tommorow, you enable it today.

It is not just about going for a FTF, but it does have something to do with going for on wild goose chase becasue someone uses coordinates that are off by as much as 400 feet. 20-30 feet I see all the time, if that was the case I would not have said a thing.

Edit to add: I checked your gallery, there is nothing wrong with the GPS you are using.

Your GPS

867b894b-44e2-4376-8713-b752a3974029.jpg

Welcome to my playground

Edited by JohnnyVegas

We were given a Magellan Explorist 200 for Christmas by my in-laws. However, it seems like it is only accurate most of the time to about 25 or 30 feet, and if we are lucky, to about 10 feet at the most. Makes it pretty time consuming to find those micros hidden in the woods sometimes. :cute:

Some makes/models will lock on to a position quicker than others, but the accuracy you are getting (25' to 30') is reasonable if you are looking for a cache, so your eXplorist 200 is doing just fine.

You should be more deliberate and careful when you are hiding a cache, since you want your coordinates to be as accurate as possible. I can count on certain cachers in my area to be very accurate (usually within 0.002 minutes which would be about 12 feet) so I don't think this is luck.

Edited by budd-rdc
There is a guy in the Sacramento area who gets on everyones case, retired with nothing to do but complain,

go play with Model trains and leave us alone. I am having a blast at my new pas ttime.

Inspecchi

I am the guy in Sacramento

:cute:

One of the many things I learned in the forums. Don't say anything about the locals, they are probably watching. :D

I think it's already be said, but it certainly bears repeating: your GPSr is only to get you into the area. Seldom (if ever) will you get to the area, see your unit say 1', and find yourself looking at the cache. I really think the fun starts when you realize you're as close as you're going to get with the machine, you turn it off, and start thinking like a geocacher --

What's out of place?

What doesn't look right?

Is that a geo-trail?

Where would I hide it?

What did the cache page say that I'm not paying attention to?

or sometimes --

Oh, %@*^ the cache -- let's enjoy the view!
:cute:

At a certain point in this game, you have to stop depending on technology and start trusting yourself.

Edited by FluteFace

I use a Magellan Meridian Gold GPS. They cost about $250 new. It does very well for me. But is does not seem to do much better than my fellow cache hunters GPS's. If you get within 10 feet, its a good day. Searching and avoiding muggles is part of the challenge and fun anyway. I have gone back on different days and double checked coordinates on caches that I have placed in very open areas with good reception, and most of the time come up with the same coords again and again.

I get complaints on occasion about cords that are off by .001 or .002. Some cachers can get lazy. Maybe I should spray paint a bright orange X on the tree with arrows, flashing lights and a loud speaker...LOL Once you get more experience, it will get easier. Don't always rely on your GPS, it well get you to the area, then you must use your caching instincts....where would you hide it? Happy Hunting! :)

The very first cache I found with my GPS was 1 foot off. I thought to myself, "gee this is going to be easy". I have since reevaluated this thought.

I did find a cache once that was painted florescent orange. It was an ammo can and it was in the open in a field. Course that was in the olden days of caching when the idea was to let everyone actually find your cache. Things have changed a bit since then. :D