S&t Data Import With Pushpins

sbell111

I have a spreadsheet of data that I need to import into Streets & Trips. This data breaks down into three or four different categories. Is there a way that I can add an identifier to my spreadsheet so S&T will give the data within the categories a unique pushpin?

For instance, say the spreadsheet had a list of people's addresses. Some people were work contacts, others church contacts, relatives, friends, etc. Could I put an indicator for each person in the spreadsheet to give them a different pushpin based on the group that they belong to? I would like to do this without breaking the spreadsheet into smaller spreadsheets, if possible.

The Pushpin file itself does have icons but it's for the Pocket PC version. Can that same pushpin file be imported into the Desktop version and solve the problem? (I only use the pocket PC version so I have no clue if you can).

RK, since you're a Pocket Streets user, I asked this question recently and didn't get much of a response. Any wisdom you could share about this issue would be appreciated - thanks

Steven,

To my knowledge (although I'm too lazy to check first hand) you can edit each waypoint to set whichever icon you want, but there is no way, as Robert mentioned, to import a single file with different waypoints.

I'm pretty sure I've changed individual waypoints to have different icons, independent of other waypoints in that file.

Jamie

Steven,

To my knowledge (although I'm too lazy to check first hand) you can edit each waypoint to set whichever icon you want, but there is no way, as Robert mentioned, to import a single file with different waypoints.

I'm pretty sure I've changed individual waypoints to have different icons, independent of other waypoints in that file.

Jamie

Thanks. I knew that I could change them individually after importing them, I just didn't want the hassle. It looks like the simplest solution is to break down the spreadsheet by category prior to import. I am trying to produce an instruction manual to distribute to people in the field statewide and I'm trying to dumb it way down.

I have a spreadsheet of data that I need to import into Streets & Trips. This data breaks down into three or four different categories. Is there a way that I can add an identifier to my spreadsheet so S&T will give the data within the categories a unique pushpin?

For instance, say the spreadsheet had a list of people's addresses. Some people were work contacts, others church contacts, relatives, friends, etc. Could I put an indicator for each person in the spreadsheet to give them a different pushpin based on the group that they belong to? I would like to do this without breaking the spreadsheet into smaller spreadsheets, if possible.

Check this guys website out Pushpins by Craig Givens. Written for geocaching but overall is a good description of importing. This procedure uses a small executable (can be downloaded from his website) that controls the import and pushpin selection. Read thoroughly before using.

Could you split your spreadsheet up and create one for each group? Then you could import each one into S&T and assign a different pushpin to each one during import.

Here's a quicky example of area caches broken down into not found, found, and my own.

Cheers, Olar

ecb5b928-3aaf-4fc7-93b9-25732d146df8.jpg