Newbie And A Mac User

TeamBikeNRun

:anicute: I am so excited to get started with geocaching but my only options for a computer is a mac. I'l looking for any help with choosing a GPS system and software that will be compatible with my computer. Thanks in advance for the help! :cool:

The new National Geographioc state series Topo software is going to include Mac and PC versions of their software and it is also going to support GPX files. It is just starting to ship to dealers.

MacGPS Pro is a great piece of software. It'll transfer waypoints and tracks between the unit and your Mac and can also use anything for a map with a little work (scans of restaurant placemats, photos of park trail maps etc etc...)

Depending on your hardware, USB, Serial or BlueTooth will work too.

Edited to add:

and GPSBabel does a decent job and changing .gpx geocache files into address book contact entries which can then be uploaded to and view from your iPod's Contacts list. Which gives you a cheap & simple form of paperless caching...

Edited by Deneye

Been GPS-ing for 3 years -

Been working w/ MACs for 15 years

Haven't found anything reliable enough for me that compare to that available to the PeeCee (*in terms of features -).

I'm just crossing my fingers & waiting for the OSX incorporation which will reach our kind of GPSing by the end of the year I think

In the meantime, I gust use an old PeeCee laptop soley for the GPS

G4 QuickSilver

I've copy/pasted most of this reply from another thread. I've found that short of a few specific programs, there isnt much I cant do on my Mac, this is done on a PC.

I'm currently using on my iBook G3/900: aGarmin Foretrex 101 GPS, a Etrex Legend GPSs, a Keyspan USB-Serial Converter, and a Palm Visor Edge.

Software:

National Geographic Topo Mac (state series) for mapping use. THis software has very good topo maps (not downloadable to the Legend, though). and will upload/dowlonad tracks and waypoints to the Garmin, as well as doing live tracking. The detail of the 1:24,000 maps is awesome!

Mac Simple GPS for waypoint transfers

Cachemate is prob the best money I ever spent on software (especially the palm). Mac CMconvert is the companion program you will need to transfer pocket query GPX files from the Mac to Hotsync to you Palm.

MacGPSBabel is a good program to convert file types.

There are a good number of Mac/GPS programs out there. It does take a little searching, though.

Unfortunately, there is not Mac GSAK (yet), though I keep hoping!

I do have a Win XP laptop that I run Garmin's Mapsource & a few other programs on. The Mapsource Topos (for the legend) are only 1:100,000 series, and lack much of the detail that the NG Topo maps. It was a free machine, but I find I really dont use/need it much. I can do everything on the mac, that I need. I'll use the PC for the BMGPX program to process the NGS datasheets for benchmark recoveries, but that is only on occasion I need to update that data. It mostly collects dust.

Thanks for all the info- folks!

I, too, am a Mac-user and was gifted a Magellan Meridian Gold recently (before I knew that the their MapSend software and my computer weren't compatible) and was wondering just HOW I was going to make it work with my eMac.

I'll follow the links and cross my fingers- I'd sure hate to have to buy a Win-laptop just to download my waypoints. I'm just that stubborn!!

:smile: I am so excited to get started with geocaching but my only options for a computer is a mac. I'l looking for any help with choosing a GPS system and software that will be compatible with my computer. Thanks in advance for the help! :smile:

Garmin has announced that all of their products will be compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 by the end of this year.