Magellan Gps 315

volsfan78

I had one, until I sold it a couple days ago. It is a decent GPS and yes you can download to it, but it isn't WAAS enabled. I tried to find a few caches near me with it and couldn't. Later went out with a friend who had a newer WAAS-enabled unit and realized I was looking in the wrong places (although the 315 told me I was at ground zero). You may want to look for a used 330, which has a few more features and is WAAS. They can be had for not much more than a used 315.

-Luke

The 315 should be great for Geocaching.

There is a firmware updated for the 330 that may work in the 315 (V4.0) that enables WAAS.

I personally run with the WAAS turned off most of the time

The 315 map storage capacity is small by todays standards.

Here is a review of the 315

Magellan 315

There is also an active Yahoo group for the 330/315 with many files and downloads

These units can usually be purchased cheap enough to be resold without a loss.

I borrowed my dad's 315 to just get started in geocaching. It has all the basics and does work quite well. Used it last weekend in fact to find two caches.

I assume you are looking at a used 315? If so will the current owner let you check it out thoroughly before buying it?

So if the price is right and you plan to upgrade later, the 315 should make a fine unit for getting started.