Map Software For Mac

I'm a noob, and don't have a GPS yet, but want a Garmin 60Cx.

I understand Virtual PC 7.02 (VPC) works well on the mac with Garmin's City Select, or City Navigator. The problem is getting the maps on the 60Cx's microSD card. I don't know if VPC will recognize an SD card reader, and I know the 60Cx has some kind of USB problem that prevents it from being seen by VPC. A serial converter would work, but is reportedly sloooooooow.

I don't know how the Garmin software works. Does it create some form of map file, that you can save to the GPS, an SD card reader, or the hard drive? If it can save the file to a hard drive, couldn't I then transfer the file to an SD card reader using the MacOS?

If so, I'd be ordering VPC, a 60Cx, City Navigator, and a 512MB card right away!

If so, I'd be ordering VPC, a 60Cx, City Navigator, and a 512MB card right away!

dude, you're better off finding a pc to temporarily load mapsource onto your garmin. trust me on this one.

then hope and pray you don't have to buy a new mac version, but instead "upgrade" or port over when Garmin releases it later this year.

After downloading the maps into an SD card directly using MapSource on a PC, I can copy the resulting monster file from the SD card back to the hard drive and then simply copy them back the same way whenever I need to change maps. I see no reason that same approach wouldn't work on the Mac, but I haven't tried it. I certainly would if I had limited access to a PC though and only had the Mac for maintenance. My chief concern would the the "extra" files the MacOS puts on any drive and whether they would confuse the GPS.

If Garmin sticks with their current licensing scheme (you can install Mapsource on as many machines as you need, but only two GPS's can be use the downloaded maps), I would imagine you would be able to move over to a Mac with no additional cost. Of course, that's Garmin's call, but given that they've oriented their lMapsource icenses to the final delivery vehicle (the GPS), I'd think make that hope) Garmin will stick to the same strategy.

Edited by ikim & noj

I am reluctant to load another OS on the Mac, solely to use the GPS. There is a possibility of corrupting my current system.

For the price of VPC, I could probably spend a little more and find a cheap PC or Laptop in the local trading post. I know I'd need something w/ a DVD drive.

Anything particular I should look for?

I see no reason that same approach wouldn't work on the Mac

I don't see a reason either. But it just doesn't work, with or without a reason.

What happens when you try it? I wonder if those extra files (trash etc) that the Mac puts on the flash drive are affecting the gps or maybe the extra files push beyond the available flash drive capacity?

Edited by ikim & noj
I see no reason that same approach wouldn't work on the Mac

I don't see a reason either. But it just doesn't work, with or without a reason.

What happens when you try it? I wonder if those extra files (trash etc) that the Mac puts on the flash drive are affecting the gps or maybe the extra files push beyond the available flash drive capacity?

I don't know what these "extra files" you're talking about are. From what I understand, Garmin uses a non-standard USB comm. protocol in order to connect between the unit and the PC. Virtual PC is completely unable to talk to the GPS.

Since you quoted my post and said my suggestion wouldn't work, I figured that you must be talking about the same thing I was.

I was most definitely NOT suggesting Virtual PC since that seems to work for some folks and not others. As you recommended, it's both cheaper and easier for most folks to get a used PC than to fight with Virtual PC and Garmin's software.

I was responding to the OP's question, at least as I understood it.

I don't know how the Garmin software works. Does it create some form of map file, that you can save to the GPS, an SD card reader, or the hard drive? If it can save the file to a hard drive, couldn't I then transfer the file to an SD card reader using the MacOS?

My post had nothing to do with Virtual PC and was only in regard to copying map files originally generated on a PC to a Mac hard drive using a flash card reader and restoring each file when needed. That way the OP would only need access to a PC from time to time as he needed to generate new maps and could move them to his Mac hard drive for later downloading through the flash card reader.

I'm trying out the strategy of copying a CompactFlash card to our Mac and then back to the card again to see if there is any problem when the card is inserted in our StreetPilot. I should have an answer in a half hour or so.

You'll want to try GSAK too for the new PC. It helps immensely in managing waypoints and logs for planning cache hunts. GSAK is $20 shareware, but you can try it out for a while without getting nagged. See www.gsak.net for getting it. Lots of functionality and since you've got a laptop, you can bring it with you on longer trips. A bit daunting at first, but once you get used to it, you won't want to do without it.

Edited by ikim & noj

OK, I give up for now. The map files I have are about a gigabyte in length and for some reason the Mac Finder refuses to copy them to completion. Instead it hangs up at 681 mb every time. I haven't tried it with other formats than MS-DOS compatible, but I suspect it's some sort of limitation of that particular format. Since the OP's problem is solved, I'm not going to pursue it further with smaller files, but I see no reason that the strategy wouldn't work with 512mb cards.

Mapsource will create a file directly on an SD or CompactFlash card with a reader or you can let the GPS do it through the Garmin protocol. The direct creation is substantially faster during the download phase.

The resulting file can be copied to a PC hard drive using a card reader and restored via the same mechanism. That part of Mapsource might work even under Virtual PC since it does not rely on the non-standard Garmin drivers, but instead uses the drivers for the card reader, which are far more standard.

The file MapSource creates is consolidation of all the maps and POI's that you select in Mapsource along with the routing information into a single file. Mapsource creates the single file (GMAPSUPP.IMG) and places it in a single folder (GARMIN) at the root level of the card.

This file can only be created by MapSource as far as I know, and you can't add or remove maps without rewriting the whole file all over again.

I may try with a smaller mapset later or if someone can tell me how to get around the 681mb "limit".

Jon

Edited by ikim & noj