Question On Accuracy

dbowers

Hello, first post here and just have a little question.

I am new to geo caching, but have been using GPS's for years in other outdoor activaties and they have always seemed to to their job.

Myself and friend were out looking for a local cache. When we got to the immediate area of the cache site there was a distint differance in the two models accuracy.

I was using my Megallan Sportrax Map(lastest flash) and my friend was using his Explorist 400. His GPS put him appox 16 ft from the site while mine was bout 40-60ft.

SO i guess my question is was just a signal issue or are new models that much more accurate?

Thank

I think I figured out what was goin on. We had two different map datums; my friend was using WGS84 and I was using NAD27. :rolleyes:

Glad you figured it out on your own.

If you are methodical and observant enough, it is possible to make the coordinates of two different GPSr's (regardless of make) match within 0.001 minutes. This depends on the environment you are in, of course - for example, tough to do this in deep forest cover.

This is very important when you hide a cache, to obtain good coordinates. There are cachers in my area who consistenly post good coordinates on their hides, so I don't think this is luck.