Best Garmin For My Needs

sweetsteve

I tried to search for this answer but I think that feature is broken. If this is on other forums, I apologize.

I have a Garmin eTrex that works great for geocaching.

I am thinking about upgrading my GPS and would like to stay with Garmin.

I would like USB connectivity. I don't think I need maps or color.

Which of Garmin's products are better at pulling in GPS signals? Which device, with USB, can provide better reception?

If not by Garmin, does anyone know of any company that makes a unit (and software) that will work for Mac?

Regards,

Stephen

I believe the GPS60 is Garmin's most affordable handheld with a USB connection (it also supports serial). You'll find them for about $150 at most GPS internet retailers, but once you use a color mapping GPS, you won't go back. In my opinion the best value is the Legend C

It's not the unit that matters but the software in terms of MAC compatibility.

Take a peed here , also here, for MAC GPS related software.

How does reception compare between the Garmin units? Is one better at pulling in satellite signals than the others or are the differences based on color, USB, mapping, etc?

The very newest models use a different chipset for receiving and have different characteristics - more sensitivity and nearly instant lock. As long as you're comparing older models to older models and newer to newer, I don't think there is much difference. It's mostly features.

Depending on your needs, you might want to get one with an external antenna connection to give you more flexibility and to insure better reception in the car, etc.

I own a Garmin GPS60CS and really like it. I also have an older Magellan Meridian Gold with black and white screen, and I tell you, the colour screen is so much better. I also have been using a new Legend C and though the screen is smaller, the unit is nice and compact and easy to store in a coat or shirt pocket. The Legend C also uses the menu system to access the "Find" or "Mark" keys, and I don't like that. The 60Cs has a "Find & Mark" buttons and I like the buttons better. But for the money, the Legend C is the cheapest colour unit available and works great for Geocaching as well as the GPS60Cs does. A lot depends on how serious you are about what you are doing rather than how much you can spend. The Legend C will do most things but only has limited 24 meg of memory whereas the new Legenc Cx will use the SD memory card to allow larger maps, but unless you are trying to use it to navigate across the country, the Legend C is hard to beat. (Just remember what I said about the menus though).

Gary

Misteraceman, if the Legend C is set up as my Vista, a shortcut to mark a position is to hold down the toggle switch while in the Map screen.

The problem, as I see it, with serial to USB cable converters is the price for the good ones are about $30. Then you have to install the driver on each computer you plan on using it. Then, there's the occasional compatibility problems I've heard. Plus, transferring data through USB connections are extremely fast (especially noticeable when downloading mapsets), and the adapters do not speed things up.

I've heard conflicting stories as to which units (Etrex Cs or Map60s) are better for reception.

Edited by Chuy

I'm in the same boat. I'm upgrading my basic (yellow) eTrex to something new. Basically what I had carved it down to was between the Legend C and the GPSMAP 60. They aren't too far apart in price as I've found the legend C at $210 and the GPSMAP 60 at $245. Basically from the specs they seem really similar as far as things I'm concerned with. The Legend C is obviously color and a better battery life. Granted the screen is a little smaller, but it's color. :) So now I'm stuck at the point where I wondered if the GPSMAP 60 really got a better/stronger signal than the legend c? I will use the unit for odds and ends things, but mostly geocaching. I'd like the color screen but would stick with the grayscale GPSMAP if the reception is really better or more accurate. Any thoughts?

*EDIT* Just saw this part of your post. Anyone else have any input?

've heard conflicting stories as to which units (Etrex Cs or Map60s) are better for reception.

If this is the case and one is not the clear winner I guess I'm going with the Legend C.

Edited by Nocturnal Navigators

Don't get too technical here. Firstly, the GPS60 is monochrome and the Legend C is colour. No comparison here. Colour rules. Why? Easier to see both in daylight and in night use. My choice. Go to Walmart or someplace that will offer a 30 day return, and Walmart is good for that. Try out the Legend C. My GPS60CS cost more than twice the price of the Legend C, has a larger map face which is nice, but the colour screen makes up for a lot of things, but they both do basically the same thing and both are excellent for Geocaching as are many other units out there. The new Legend C is easy on batteries (up to 36 hours so they claim) and I find it OK for signal strength, even as good as the GPS60CS, so for my money, unless you think that you want other down the road features, spend more now, but next year there will be something better, just like they did with the GPS60C now the GPS60Cx which means better signal capture and hold. Read other questions regarding this in other areas.

Good luck.

Gary

How does reception compare between the Garmin units? Is one better at pulling in satellite signals than the others or are the differences based on color, USB, mapping, etc?

Spend the extra money or you will regret it. I bought an Etrex legend a few years back and it is practically unusable for my needs. I bought it for four wheeling but it loses reception under trees which constitutes about 70% of my riding. It's no good for the car because it gets poor reception there also. But my biggest complaint is it doesn't have an external antenna jack, I could have fixed almost all of my complaints with an external antenna.

The new "X" models use a new chipset and get much better reception than the older ones and It sounds like reception is what you are concerned about most (as it should be). You need to seriously consider the Gpsmap 60cx.

Edited by jfrush