Printing Labels

nfa

Hi,

I'm going to be shipping some geocoins soon, and am having trouble figuring out how to print labels using my paypal records and Word...can anyone help me.

When describing how to do it, break it down for me like you are describing it to a 8 year-old... ;)

jamie

Its probably not an option for you this time around, but I got an inexpensive Brother thermal printer for printing USPS labels from paypal. The problem is the resulting label is pretty big (6" long), but it is click and print.

And it sends the other person a 'tracking' number.

nielsenc

How to print labels from Paypal:

If you don’t know how to extract the data from paypal:

A. Log in to Paypal

B. Just above and on the left side of the list of recent activity you will see an item that says “All Activity” Click on this.

C. When the next screen opens up you will see a box on the upper right portion of the screen that says reporting tools. Select “Download my History”

D. Custom Date Range will be preselected. - Put in the dates you want to extract data for.

E. Where it says “File Types to Download” – Select “Comma Delimited – Completed Payments”

F. Hit Download History in the bottom right of the screen.

G. A dialog box will come up that says: Opening download.csv. It will probably default to open with Excel (default). You will have the option to open or save the file. Choose open.

H. Depending on how much data, it may take a minute or more to download and open the file.

I. When the file come up. Go through the transactions and delete all of the lines that you do not want to print labels for. - This would typically be for deposits you make in your account, withdrawals and purchases. - If you have a huge number of transactions there are some tricks to make this easier.

To delete a line click on the line number to the left, then go to edit at the top of the screen and choose delete.

J. When the file has just the data you need. Do a “save as” to an easy name and an easy to find location: Desktop, My Documents or My Data Sources. - You should also change the file type to an excel file. The very first choice on the dropdown menu (you will have to scroll up to see it)

In Word:

A. Open a new document

B. Select Tools from the top menus, the Letters and Mailings.

C. A box will open on the right that asks what you want to do. Select labels. – Hit Next

D. Under Change Document Layout on the right, click on Label Options . . .

E. Select the labels you are using and hit okay. Most labels will have Avery label numbers.

F. Click on Next Step Choose Receipents.

G. The default will be Use an existing list. Leave that alone. Hit Browse.

H. It open box for opening a file. If the file you saved from paypal is in that subdirectory you can choose it. Otherwise find the file you saved from PayPal.

I. You will get a box that asks you to choose a sheet. There should be only one, but if more than one, choose the first one.

J. You will then see a box that is titled Mail Merge Recipients. All Recipients should be checked. If, not hit select all. Then click on Okay - The page will then show a bunch of blank labels, with all but the first label saying «Next Record»

G. Hit next step: arrange your labels.

H. Make sure your cursor is in the top left label. Then on the right side select the option that says: More items. This will bring of a list of all the fields in the excel database that you saved.

I. Select the ones you want. Most likely it will be:

1.. Name – Choose it, hit insert, then close. Hit enter to go to the next line.

2. Go down to address 1, choose it, hit insert, then close. Hit enter to go to the next line.

3. Go down to address 2, choose it, hit insert, then close. Hit enter to go to the next line.

4. Go down to Town/City choose it, hit insert, then close. On the same line, put in a comma (,) and then a space.

5. While on the same line choose More Items again and go to State. Hit insert and then close. On the same line put in 2 spaces. (at this point the layout may look pretty messed up. Don’t worry about it.)

6. While on the same line choose More Items again and go to Zip. Hit insert and close.

7. If you need to add country. Hit enter to go to the next line and then the same as above.

J. Now select Update all labels. – Go to next step: Preview Labels.

If things don’t look right, go to previous. Fix only the top left label then hit update label again.

H. If fine hit complete the merge.

J. Under merge select select edit individual labels. This will create a new document with all the labels. It gives you more control.

K. Print them.

Also: Stamps.com is a way to go with smaller items. A few more steps though

I will be out for a few hours, but you can e-mail me if you have problems. I will also clean this up and post it someplace for people to find, over then next day or two.

How to print labels from Paypal:

If you don’t know how to extract the data from paypal:

A.  Log in to Paypal

B.  Just above and on the left side of the list of recent activity you will see an item that says “All Activity”  Click on this.

C.  When the next screen opens up you will see a box on the upper right portion of the screen that says reporting tools.  Select “Download my History”

D.  Custom Date Range will be preselected.  -  Put in the dates you want to extract data for.

E.  Where it says “File Types to Download” – Select “Comma Delimited – Completed Payments”

F.  Hit Download History in the bottom right of the screen.

G.  A dialog box will come up that says:  Opening download.csv.  It will probably default to open with Excel (default).  You will have the option to open or save the file.  Choose open.

H.  Depending on how much data, it may take a minute or more to download and open the file.

I.  When the file come up.  Go through the transactions and delete all of the lines that you do not want to print labels for.  -  This would typically be for deposits you make in your account, withdrawals and purchases.  -  If you have a huge number of transactions there are some tricks to make this easier.

To delete a line click on the line number to the left, then go to edit at the top of the screen and choose delete.

J.  When the file has just the data you need.  Do a “save as” to an easy name and an easy to find location:  Desktop, My Documents or My Data Sources.  -  You should also change the file type to an excel file.  The very first choice on the dropdown menu (you will have to scroll up to see it)

In Word:

A.  Open a new document

B.  Select Tools from the top menus, the Letters and Mailings.

C.  A box will open on the right that asks what you want to do.  Select labels. – Hit Next

D.  Under Change Document Layout on the right, click on Label Options . . .

E.  Select the labels you are using and hit okay.  Most labels will have Avery label numbers.

F.  Click on Next Step Choose Receipents.

G.  The default will be Use an existing list.  Leave that alone.  Hit Browse.

H.  It open box for opening a file.  If the file you saved from paypal is in that subdirectory you can choose it.  Otherwise find the file you saved from PayPal.

I.  You will get a box that asks you to choose a sheet.  There should be only one, but if more than one, choose the first one.

J.  You will then see a box that is titled Mail Merge Recipients.  All Recipients should be checked.  If, not hit select all. Then click on Okay  -  The page will then show a bunch of blank labels, with all but the first label saying «Next Record»

G.  Hit next step: arrange your labels.

H.  Make sure your cursor is in the top left label.  Then on the right side select the option that says: More items.  This will bring of a list of all the fields in the excel database that you saved.

I.  Select the ones you want.  Most likely it will be:

1..  Name – Choose it, hit insert, then close. Hit enter to go to the next line.

2.  Go down to address 1, choose it, hit insert, then close. Hit enter to go to the next line.

3.  Go down to address 2, choose it, hit insert, then close. Hit enter to go to the next line.

4.  Go down to Town/City choose it, hit insert, then close.  On the same line, put in a comma (,) and then a space.

5.  While on the same line choose More Items again and go to State.  Hit insert and then close.  On the same line put in 2 spaces.  (at this point the layout may look pretty messed up.  Don’t worry about it.)

6.  While on the same line choose More Items again and go to Zip.  Hit insert and close.

7.  If you need to add country.  Hit enter to go to the next line and then the same as above.

J.  Now select Update all labels. – Go to next step: Preview Labels.

If things don’t look right, go to previous.  Fix only the top left label then hit update label again.

H.  If fine hit complete the merge.

J.  Under merge select select edit individual labels.  This will create a new document with all the labels.  It gives you more control.

K.  Print them.

Also:  Stamps.com is a way to go with smaller items.  A few more steps though

I will be out for a few hours, but you can e-mail me if you have problems.  I will also clean this up and post it someplace for people to find, over then next day or two.

Good God ;)

Its probably not an option for you this time around, but I got an inexpensive Brother thermal printer for printing USPS labels from paypal.  The problem is the resulting label is pretty big (6" long), but it is click and print.

And it sends the other person a 'tracking' number.

nielsenc

Though the usefulness of this number is of debate ;)