Mapping Software For Palm Handheld

Apologies if this has already been asked before.

I am looking for software to view Ordnance Survey maps on my Palm handheld so I can leave the bulky paper maps at home. I do paperless caching courtesy of Cachemate on my Palm and it works really well so am just looking to extend this to a totally paperless solution.

I've seen Fugawi which looks great for Windows users with a Pocket PC handheld. I'd like something similar that runs on a Mac and can save maps to my Palm handheld (Tungsten E2). I don't have a Windows PC so it has to be a solution that works on the Mac or bypasses the Mac somehow to get the maps on my Palm.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

I think that you are a little bit stuck as there is little if any commercial mapping software for the Mac, as an ex Mac user I can only say that the problem with the Mac is that it is poorly supported for lots of software. It got to the stage that I thought "How can this be better, when I can't get it to do what I want it to do!"

I bit my lip got an old PC and that was that, I had a bucket load of applications that were available doing the jobs I wanted (At that time I will admit mapping was not one).

So about 4 years ago I sold my G3, and I have never regretted it, because I can find applications that function for the real world and not the Mac world.

Sad truth is that the Mac will always take the back stage in terms of software.

But, you could always calibrate your own maps by taking them from mapping sites, or run windows virtually on your Mac (I think that is possible)

Moote

Edited by Moote

My main problem is my Mac has all the software I need for everything other than this and most of it is not available on the PC - and if it is, it's not half as good, productive or easy to use [i'm not looking to get into a PC vc Mac discussion here if anyone is reading this in that way].

Calibrating my own maps sounds like a possible solution. I have not got a clue where to start with this but am off to take a quick look around now. Sounds like it could be good fun though :lol:.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

Being a Database Analyst I can tell you that GSAK is a well structured and powerful desktop database; it might not be in the league of an Oracle DB, but it is superior to a lot of other desktop products I have ever seen and for the £8 for a registered version well that is like dirt cheap!

Fugawi worked with my old Palm IIIxe - just very very slowly! It worked acceptably on my Sonly Clie SJ22 which uses the same processor and OS (33mhz Dragonball running OS4.1) as the m130. Just expect a few seconds wait whilst maps are moved from the memory card to main RAM, and remember that maps have to be in main RAM to be accessed. The software swaps maps into and out of memory as you require, but it does mean you need a couple of megs of free RAM to make much use of it.