Event Cache Or Commercial Cache?

NoLemon

Boy, what a big tadoo over nothing.

This is a local event that will be attended by local cachers  that know

each other. It appears that everybody making a big stink is not from this area.

Every one here in the quad cities knows what a big jokester Charlie is.

And they all realize that a purchase is really not required. They also know

that you don't have to be there between certain times to qualify to log it.

I spend many hours with Charlie and probably know him better than any other cacher. I don't think a single person planning on attending this event ever thought

that they had to buy something. The event will go on listed or not and I will buy a cup of coffee.

I think it might have been prudent for the Ill.Adm. to have contacted Charlie

to discuss the concerns.

oldtimer1

I'm sure Charlie is a great guy and every long time cacher in the area knows that he's a jokester. Newbies in the area and people from outside the area who might be passing through however are not privy to that information.

I also know Charlie personally, and am pretty sure he would have gladly revised the cache page had he only been given a chance to do so.

As I understand it Charlie is being given the chance to revise the page.

This one Regional Event , on the other hand, cost us over $20. We thought that we had reached an agreement with the organizers that, since we were only attending for a short while, that we could forgo some of the expenses. Nope. Cost us over $20. Fee charged to attend = Commercial. We ate no food. But we got charged for it anyway. Even without the food, there was an admission fee.

With this event the organizers had to front a few thousand bucks to book the place. The fee had nothing to do with food, which was provided by the cachers themselves, but was meant to defray the cost of renting the facility (which BTW is run by a non profit organization). Therefore all attendees were asked to contribute (those who camped had to pay a little more than the day trippers). I'm also sure if you refused to contribute, you wouldn't have been denied the opportunity to log it.

Like it or not, events often cost a lot of money to pull off and I don't think asking the attendees to help with the costs equates a commercial enterprise.

Edited by briansnat

My upcoming Event April 8 is set as a coffee.

Last time some did order breakfast, including me.

No minimum order. Just come.

Last time, about 30 cachers and families, lots of TBs exchanged,

I had a special multi set up in a nearby park, and we had lots of fun.

Isn't fun what it is all about? The owner couldn't be happier just having

us come again!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...57-46b0b9f88951

I'm glad to see the general opinion of the community members seem to be in favor of the person who put on this event. I hate to see forums where people nitpick each other over what basically amounts to nothing. All you accomplish with this type of behavior is to drive people away. I logged my first find today; my daughter (age 8) and I had a great time. This is also my first post although I’ve been reading them (lurking? :lol: ) for a few weeks. I'm also looking forward to attending a geocache event. I guess I'll have to watch the calendar. I would hate to see anyone discouraged from putting one on over the cost of a cup of coffee.

Anyway later....... ;)

Having skimmed through this list I agree with the majority. The issue is valid for space in a resteraunt (and I like ordering beer). The requring of a purchas to log is the kicker.

I agree with you renegade its the requirement to log that is the problem. Asking people to donate to attend an event has been done and works. If its to cover the cost of renting the room or some other requirement of the establishment, say so on the log page and enough cachers will donate.

A couple of other comments in general, from reading the posts the approver has handled this perfectly and Jeremy is right about handling politely. Seems like a great job the the geocaching.com folks to me.

JDandDD

This thread is a funny read. A lot of bickering over nothing. ALL of our state parks require an entrance fee,and believe it or not,most love cachers(couldn't be the money they make...nah) So in order to log a find you have to fork over the moolah....besides most of the events we have attended,we have ordered something off the menu. So lighten up snapperheads ;) , I have forked over some serious dough to log just a few caches. I am sure other folks have as well.....