Help! Found An Unlisted Tb

HonkyKong

I went to a cache intending to retrieve a TB that I thought I could help on its way. In the cache, I found what I thought was the TB in question (pics of the original TB did not show it in detail, but from a distance). When I went to Geocaching.com to log it like a good boy, I found that this was not the TB in question, but I couldn't find which one it actually was. Any suggestions?

Thanks

HK

What steps did you follow to track down the bug?

In the upper right hand corner of this page you'll find a Travel Bug Lookup. Entering the number found on the travel bug's tag should retrieve the page for that bug.

Assuming, of course, that the item you retrieved is a Groundspeak Travel Bug. There are other travelers out there which aren't tracked on this web site.

edit: spelling

Edited by cache_test_dummies

I tried that already - it says the travel bug has not been activated. So is it mine now, or what? The tag was draped loosely around a toy, but did not have any instructions or anything. It could have gotten tangled around the toy by accident, even. No clue what's going on with this, but at the time didn't attach a lot of meaning to it because I thought I knew which TB it was. Turns out it's not EVEN the one I was going after.

I guess it's up to you but honesty is usually the best policy.

Read the past logs on the cache listing page that goes with the cache you found the bug in. There may be clues there as to who left it.

If there aren't any clues there and if the cache isn't far from your home, go back to it and check the paper logs. There could be a clue there.

Read the last log on the travel bug listing page (the TB that is showing in the cache). It may be theirs.

My guess is that the cacher had a brand new TB in their mojo bag and inadvertenly grabbed it instead of the TB that's showing up in the cache.

If all resources are exhausted and after sometime has passed if know one has claimed it............

One of my big complaints is people who grab bugs from a cache before I've had the opportunity to drop it in that cache, via log. Some people are just too impatient, and have little consideration for geocachers who are travelling.

That does not seem to be the case here.

Some cache hiders leave TB tags in a cache as a prize for the FTF. Since the tags are attached to a 'bug', that would not seem to be the case here either.

It would seem probable that you hve encountered a newby cacher who didn't realize that s/he needed to register their TB. Check the logs to see who logged the cache before you. Leave a note on the cache page that you have the bug, but it hasn't been registred. Check to see if they logged out the bug that you were expecting to find.

One of my big complaints is people who grab bugs from a cache before I've had the opportunity to drop it in that cache, via log.  Some people are just too impatient, and have little consideration for geocachers who are travelling.

Friendly suggestion here........This is what I do when I'm traveling:

I stay at hotels/motels/inns that have a computer in the lobby that's free for guests to use.

Another something I've heard other people do is that they just find a library and use one of those computers. I've also came across notes in the cache log books that were left by folks who are traveling and need extra time to log them.

At any rate, I try to log all my TB activity before I go to bed wether I'm traveling or not. I realize that this is not possible in all instances.

Edited by Pilerman
One of my big complaints is people who grab bugs from a cache before I've had the opportunity to drop it in that cache, via log.  Some people are just too impatient, and have little consideration for geocachers who are travelling.

Friendly suggestion here........This is what I do when I'm traveling:

I stay at hotels/motels/inns that have a computer in the lobby that's free for guests to use.

Another something I've heard other people do is that they just find a library and use one of those computers. I've also came across notes in the cache log books that were left by folks who are traveling and need extra time to log them.

Nice, if you have to money to stay in a motel with computer access. Motel 6 doesn't seem to. We were travelling some distance, and did not have the time to find libraries. Heck, one of the bugs was grabbed two hours after we put it there. I guess a little consideration is too much to hope for. Oh, well.

I made a ticket up for travel bugs that I take on vacation.

They read:

This bug was placed while on vacation.  Please feel free to take the bug, but please do not log the bug until after August 7th, 2005.  We will be getting back from vacation at that time and will be able to log the bugs that we’ve dropped by that time.  Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely Webfoot & Son.

Please remove this tag after August 7th, 2005 and disregard this notice at that time.  Thank you.

Feel free to PM me with an email address if you'd like the doc file. It has the travel bug on it, so it looks pretty good. I just punch a hole in the ticket, then loop it through the chain that's attached to the bug. Since I'm usually only gone for a week at the moment, it doesn't have to be very sturdy. It's easily torn off after the time has passed. It's worked very successfully in the past, with only one person who was too eager to wait. He, at least, logged it into the cache that I had placed the bug in.

I made a ticket up for travel bugs that I take on vacation.

They read:

This bug was placed while on vacation.  Please feel free to take the bug, but please do not log the bug until after August 7th, 2005.  We will be getting back from vacation at that time and will be able to log the bugs that we’ve dropped by that time.  Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely Webfoot & Son.

Please remove this tag after August 7th, 2005 and disregard this notice at that time.  Thank you.

Feel free to PM me with an email address if you'd like the doc file. It has the travel bug on it, so it looks pretty good. I just punch a hole in the ticket, then loop it through the chain that's attached to the bug. Since I'm usually only gone for a week at the moment, it doesn't have to be very sturdy. It's easily torn off after the time has passed. It's worked very successfully in the past, with only one person who was too eager to wait. He, at least, logged it into the cache that I had placed the bug in.

That is such an excellent idea! Since you are okay with grabbing the text - I just did. While we usually stay in places that have access - this idea takes away the feeling of "I must log immediately".

Thanks.

I found a TB tag attached to a toy ATV in a cache on Jan. 1, 2006. When I went to log it, I found that it was not activated. I emailed gc.com and was told to keep ckecking it and if it was not activated after a month (tomorrow!), then I would be given an activation code and it would become mine.