I Can't Get My Cache Approved...take 2

It's in the guidelines. If you don't agree take your cache in question to the forums and see what everyone thinks.

That's where it falls apart. Most of the time the cache is trashed and the community sides with the reviewer decision. Sometimes the community likes it. But then what? There is nothing in the guidelines that say how you can tell if you made your case, or if you lost the forum appeal.

What should happen? or what does happen that we don't see?

It's in the guidelines. If you don't agree take your cache in question to the forums and see what everyone thinks.

That's where it falls apart. Most of the time the cache is trashed and the community sides with the reviewer decision. Sometimes the community likes it. But then what? There is nothing in the guidelines that say how you can tell if you made your case, or if you lost the forum appeal.

What should happen? or what does happen that we don't see?

Obviously, the owner of the cache knows the outcome.

Probably because most of the "can't get my cache approved" threads end badly and are closed.

The current thread of this type seems (so far) to be an exception.

maybe, but does anyone know if the discussion in the forums actually resulted in the cache being approved as it was? it's weird that after the very public discussion of the whys and why nots of the cache, now all of us that don't live wherever that cache will one day (hopefully) be will never know the outcome. and we have too little info to try to continuously keep searching for new listings to see if it's appeared. (or else we'd have to admit to having WAY too much time on our hands)

one of the OP's (of that thread) last post kinda hit the point - it's like reading 755 pages of an 800 page novel. (ok, that's just kinda sorta close to what they said, but I didn't have their quote handy - you get the idea)

The cache at issue in the closed thread remains under discussion. When a decision is reached, the thread will be unlocked and the results will be announced. Shortly before that happens, the cache owner will be informed of the outcome by the volunteer reviewer for the area where the cache was hidden.

Most of the time I get the idea that "take it to the forums" really means "go bother someone else, kid."

There is no democracy here. If the reviewers don't want to publish a cache, it won't get published.

The only caches I've seen taken to the forums and subsequently published have been altered significantly. I changed one once to get it published. I later said screw it and reverted it back to the way it was and delisted it here.

Some time ago, there were one or two that were initially denied because it was believed that they violated the guidelines. After a discussion in the forums, it was found that they did not. They were then listed.

Better discussion with the reviewer would have solved the problem quicker, but the forum threads got the job done.

Edited by sbell111

I got jumped on about three years ago with this question about a cache. Well I went back to the drawing board and recreated this cache. And its been up and running for almost 3 years, and the final stage is only done by those that appreciate a cache that takes a hike and not a stroll down micro lane.

And when I attempted a virtual cache listing in '04 again it got shut down. Well if you want to find this sweet cache you are going to have to do the virtual to log a smiley.

And as Coyote Red said "There is no democracy here. If the reviewers don't want to publish a cache, it won't get published.

And that was so true back in '04 when I wanted to do an event cache with a hike, and again it was shut down according to the rules of the approver. So I recreated another version of the event. And after it was approved I pasted the original cache description to the new event cache listing, which you can read with the last link.

What I can't seem to fathom is that when you have a real creative idea it gets shut down. Which seems to make the term you are the "search engine" null and void. We will define how you are to create a search because you are too creative for us.

Let's see if future appeals are treated a bit differently from now on.

I would love to see more civil cache placement appeals threads, but I think that will largely depend on the cacher and the cache in question. These situations are few and far between.

Many people start an appeals thread asking for opinions, only reveal bits and pieces, and start flaming if you disagree with their position.

This particular cache was a close call and the OP presented his case in an even-handed manner and was willing to abide by the final decision, regardless of the outcome.

It does make me happy, though. :)

Let's see if future appeals are treated a bit differently from now on.

I would love to see more civil cache placement appeals threads, but I think that will largely depend on the cacher and the cache in question. These situations are few and far between.

Many people start an appeals thread asking for opinions, only reveal bits and pieces, and start flaming if you disagree with their position.

This particular cache was a close call and the OP presented his case in an even-handed manner and was willing to abide by the final decision, regardless of the outcome.

It does make me happy, though. :)

I think this is a perfect summary.

To it, I would add that I do not miss the weekly threads on "my virtual cache wasn't listed!!!"