Garmin Ique M5 Anyone?

BigDogg4

We've been caching since last July and of course have become quite ADDICTED to it. We want to trade our trusty yellow etrex in for a pocketpc/gps unit and have been looking on the internet for some info. we found the Garmin iQue M5 and it seems to be somewhat of what we're looking for. Anyone out there using one of the iQue series?..if you are how is it working? does it meet your caching needs? inputing 30 or 40 sets of coords everytime we go out is getting old...any information will me most welcome! <_<

Because things like this can happen, I would discourage you from taking a fragile, expensive unit like that out Geocaching, unless you also spend the money for an Otter box.

A waterproof, durable GPSr like my Garmin Vista C, plus an inexpensive Palm like my M500 (in a hard case), is the more economical way to go.

That set up will give you 500 waypoints on the GPSr, plus more than a 1000 caches on the Palm. <_<

The Ique is built for your office and car and not the outdoors. That's a lot of money to risk getting rained on, snowed on, dragged through brush, dropped on rocks and bounced around. All things that happen to GPS units while on the hunt.

Perhaps you can use it for road navigationaand keep your eTrex for the cache hunts.

Inputing 30 or 40 sets of coords everytime we go out is getting old.

Then why do it? Your eTrex has a PC connection. Buy the cable, download EasyGPS and no more manual input.

I have a iQue m5. we use it for caching all the time. It is a lil tricking getting coordinates from sight. You can not download them direct or at least I haven't found a way yet.

We also bought a protective leather case to use. We have dropped it several times crashed on rocks several times no damage . hHowever "SHE" hasn't taken a swim!! :):)

Edited by rogerdeb

I have an M5 and i love it. However I do not use it for geocaching. It is the best thing i have found for vehicle navigation if you travel frequently. I add all of my locations and routes and i am ready when i arrive. The Map source software is great and i have loaded to topo software as well.

I would highly recommend this unit.

I use an Ipaq 2215 a Pocket PC about 2 years old. I've loaded it with Mapopolis for autorouting and it has a Sirf III CF GPS for the latest in GPS teechnol;ogy.. I overlay all the caching waypoints. I walso use the PPC for paperless caching using gpxsonar. The iPaq comes with Outlook to sync to my ofice and personal prohrams for appointments telephone lists ToDo's etc. I also have it loaded with National geographic Topo for 24K scale topo maps.

I also use a Vista but have lately cached with the PPC more than the Vista. I've dropped it a couple of times but so far it's survived two years in the woods and in the car. Now I probably jinxed it :):)

I have the iQue 3600 which is a Palm OS PDA with a built-in GPSr. Battery life is not compatible with my geocaching habits (with the gps circuitry on, I am lucky if I get an hour of power) and the fact that it is very fragile has caused be grief and cost me money (I am on my 4th one - although I should say that two deaths occurred in the office). I now use it mostly in the car where I have a power adapter. The moving maps, with caches superimposed, and autorouting with voice navigation is pretty slick. For the intricacies of finding the cache itself once the car is parked, I generally use my Etrex Legend.

I am always amazed that folks can manage to plug 30 coordinates into these devices manually. Get the cable, get GSAK, - in the half hour you would spend punching in coords, you'll be snagging geocaches. So get that slick new toy, but plan to use it in tandem with your existing equipment. I have been investigating the Palm vc PocketPC solutions and at this point in time I like the Palm solution better (Cachemate).