A Few Questions

SlawDawg

I have read the thread at the top and still have a few questions.

I just got a unit for Christmas from my kids, I had gone out on several with them before they gave me my own. They think I need to get out more without them. They also talked me into opening my own accout this weekend. I guess they were tired of me calling them and asking them to print out pages for me.

There was a post about searching for locationless caches but when I did that it came back with no results, does that mean there are none in my area?

Also I have lurked here for a little while and am still left wondering, is it ok for me not to log my found caches online? I do not really want to do geocaching as a competetive activity just a way to get my old bones out moving. But then others may not known I found it. Does anyone not log? Or is that wrong.

If I should log then this question: I found about 30 or so before I had a unit when I went with the kids and then about 15 with my own unit but before I opened an account. Should those be logged? I do not want to do the wrong thing.

Is it ok to never hide one? My wife and I travel alot may not always be in town to take care of one. I have found a few that were in need of a lot of care and that was not fun.

There was a post about searching for locationless caches but when I did that it came back with no results, does that mean there are none in my area?

Locationless caches have been archived as of the beginning of the year. This means you can no longer hunt for locationless caches on geocaching.com The good news is that you can log waymarks on Waymarking.com. Your geocaching.com login will work at Waymarking.com

Also I have lurked here for a little while and am still left wondering, is it ok for me not to log my found caches online? I do not really want to do geocaching as a competetive activity just a way to get my old bones out moving. But then others may not known I found it. Does anyone not log? Or is that wrong.

You do not have to log your finds online. However, people that hide caches generally enjoy reading other people's experiences and other cache seekers may look to see when a cache was last found to decide whether or not to hunt it. Finally, logging your finds onlines allows the website keep track for you of which caches you have already found. I know of some geocachers that log only notes so that finds are not tracked.

If I should log then this question: I found about 30 or so before I had a unit when I went with the kids and then about 15 with my own unit but before I opened an account. Should those be logged? I do not want to do the wrong thing.

It is acceptable to back log the caches you found with your kids before you started. For some people keeping records of all their finds is important. For others this is not so important.

Is it ok to never hide one? My wife and I travel alot may not always be in town to take care of one. I have found a few that were in need of a lot of care and that was not fun.

You never have to hide a cache. I agree that some people hide more caches than they are able to maintain and it's no fun to find a cache in bad condition.

Edited by tozainamboku
. . . Also I have lurked here for a little while and am still left wondering, is it ok for me not to log my found caches online? I do not really want to do geocaching as a competetive activity just a way to get my old bones out moving. But then others may not known I found it. Does anyone not log? Or is that wrong. . . .

We have a couple of local cachers who only log "Notes" instead of "Found It."

That way the cache owner is notified that someone saw/found/reported the condition of the cache, but the cacher doesn't acrue any "numbers."

That is one option . . . :grin:

You don't have to log on-line, but I would recommend it just because it's interesting to look back and read some of your own old logs as a reminder of where you were and what you did.

I agree, I do this quite often. Also, if you get to the point where you are doing caches in bunches a day you will tend to forget the names and what caches were which. If you log online, even if just notes, you can go back and remember from your log. Also logging online will help a great deal for keeping track of what caches you have done and what ones to do, especially if you go paperless in the future' but even just for zipcoe searches having the check marks there will be of great assistance.

In addition to keeping track of your found caches, if you take or move traveling items (travel bugs or geocoins) then you should log those to show the owners that the bug/coin moved to a new location. Funny, I found a TB on Saturday night and dropped it in another cache on Sunday morning. When I went to log the caches, I found out the the TB was last moved 14 Jan 2005 and was in California. It then went on a long strange, undocumented trip for a year, and I found it here in Missouri... Have fun, and welcome to the sport.

Thank You All for the responses. I think I will do the post a note logging that seems to be a good way all around. That way I can move the travel bugs and coins. The first one I found had a coin in it, my kids grabbed it to move it along.

It will most likely be interesting to see if I even remember all the ones I found, so that I can note them.

I guess I did not read the posted about locationless ones being gone. OOPS.

This seems like a great activity, I am glad to have found and be a part of it. The people here in the forums are helpful, I thank you.

Also I have lurked here for a little while and am still left wondering, is it ok for me not to log my found caches online? I do not really want to do geocaching as a competetive activity just a way to get my old bones out moving.

Though some people are competetive and in this sport to rack up their find count, that really isn't the point of online logging. I feel that its a courtesy to the owner. He spent the time, effort and money to place a cache, so the least others can do is log online and let the owner know they found the cache and enjoyed it.

Sure, why not. At the very least it will help you keep track of what you already found and won't be making repeat visits 2 years from now because you aren't sure if you found it.

is it ok to never hide one? My wife and I travel alot may not always be in town to take care of one.

Absolutely! The last thing we need are more people hiding caches they can't take care of.

Thank You All for the responses. I think I will do the post a note logging that seems to be a good way all around. That way I can move the travel bugs and coins. The first one I found had a coin in it, my kids grabbed it to move it along.

If you are going to post a note, you will want some way to keep track of the caches you already found. One way is to become a premium member. That way, you can create an "ignore" list. Once you post your note for a cache, you can then put the cache on the ignore list. Another way is to use GSAK software. Best $20 I have spent for geocaching. For basic database stuff, it is fairly easy. However, the learning curve for stuff beyond basic database can be kind of steep.