Palm Iiix Usb Problems

My home computer is a laptop and doesn't have the serial port. I'd rather not continue to use my work computer for my geocaching agenda.

I've installed the USB drivers from the Palm website, but I still cannot HotSync with a USB cable. I go into the hotsync app in the Palm, but USB is not an option- only serial and modem. Can this not be done?

I'm all ready to purchase cachemate and a premium membership, but if this won't work then it's a no sale.

What you need is a USB to Serial cable. Belkin and other manufacturers sell them. You can get them at RadioShack and Circuit City in the US and in Canada at the Source, among other suppliers.

I use one with my Palm III and have not problems at all with Hotsynch.

edited to add: I use it on a laptop without serial port as well.

JDandDD

Edited by JDandDD

GeckoGeek has that right about the Palm

The other thing is to find out how your computer numbers the COM port. For example, on one of my laptops the USBs are seen as COM3 and COM 4 and on the other as COM5 and COM6. Both have just two USB ports so you have to hunt that down as well. Then you make sure that Hotsynch is looking for the correct port. I had to play a bit but it works flawlessly.

JDandDD

Edited by JDandDD

Just to clarify a few things. If you're using a USB to serial converter, then you are syncing via serial port. The fact that serial port is at the end of a USB cable is irrelevant. The USB option in hotsync is only for Palms that came out of the box equipped to connect to a USB port.

As for what COM port to use, it depends on what COM port the serial cable installed itself as. You can either try until it works, or poke around in Device Manager to find out what it's installed as.

Gotcha.

I think it's a driver software problem- even though I got it from the palm website.

I do what the instructions tell me to do, it's listed in device mananger, but when I hook it up, it can't find it, even when I point the computer straight to it.

Thanks to everyone for your help, but I think I'm giving up.

Here's the thing. You don't want the Palm USB driver... that's for newer Palms that have USB support. The Palm III series doesn't. It will only talk serial.

So you need to get a USB-to-serial device that creates a serial port, which will be COMn (n is some number, probably NOT 1). And then set up the Palm desktop to sync with that. To install that USB device, you may need driver software that comes with the usb-to-serial device, rather than something from Palm.

I can probably help you with this... I'll send you a private message with my email. I'm very happy with my Palm IIIxe.

Best,

Dick "RheS" Smith

This has finally been resolved and I'm posting the solution here for anyone else that has a simlar problem.

Dick "RheS" Smith was right. I needed an adapter that would convert the USB port on my computer to a serial port. Nothing from the Palm company would work. I had an Iconcepts adapter and found the outdated software cd. The drivers on the cd would only work for Windows 98 and earlier machines so I had to go online and find an XP version. I did and I can now hot sync at home. Thanks to everyone, specially Dick, for all your help.