Help With Garmin Etrex Legend

GeocachingCatz

My husband and I would like to try geocaching and have just purchased an etrex Legend. We've never used a GPS before so we're wondering how in the heck we set this up to start geocaching.

I guess with this GPS you can load maps into it (which we don't have, nor know how to do yet) and it comes with a preloaded base map.

I think I've found out how to manually enter in the co-ordinates and I think after that, I want to click on the "goto" function to find my way to the cache. With the first caches we're going to hunt, we know the area and can find out way to the location just by looking at the map, but will I need to have the maps installed on my GPS in order to have it get me to a location where I didn't know where I was?

I suppose basically I'm looking for someone to help me figure this thing out so I don't end up very disappointed with our first cache hunt.

Thanks for any help, wisdom of advice you might have for us!

The base map in the legend is good enough for most situations. Combine that with a cheap paper atlas and you can get close to any cache. The mapping software for your eTrex is about $125 and is only made by Garmin but available from a number of retailers. It is nice but not needed for geocaching. That and the units smallish 8MB of memory will only allow you to load small local areas at a time.

I have used my basic etrex for well over 100 cache hunts and it has served me well. Now I use the 60C.

Yes use the Goto feature and follow the arrow to the cache.

I've used an Etrex Legend the whole time I've been caching, but I've never loaded in any of the maps beyond the base map.

Here's how I use it for caching:

I look up a cache that I want to go after, and enter in the coordinates and hit Goto. I use the maps linked to from the cache page to figure out about where the cache is, and how to drive there. Once in the area, I try to find a close parking spot, then follow the arrow on the Legend until I'm within 50' of the cache. At that point I switch over to the screen with the coordinates listed (the coords I'm at, not the target coords) and move around until I got the numbers to match those of the cache. At that point, put down the GPS and look around.

Now, there are fancier ways to do this, such as loading in detailed maps and using programs such as GSAK to load all the caches in an area into the GPS for you, but above is the basic way to cache. I cached that way for quite some time, then finally started embracing all these fun things to make it easier. Then I broke my Legend's screen on accident :D

We've had our Legend almost a year now and we've never loaded any other maps.

We too had never seen a GPSr before we bought one for caching. The instruction book is very easy to undersand. I hand enter coords, name the cache, mark it as a cache (once we find it we change the icon) and press goto. Sometimes we bring a road map with us other times we don't. If we're not familiar with the area, I'll print the map from the cache page by clicking on it and zooming in to the detail we need.

One day maybe we can get someone to actually show us how to hook it to the computer and download coords and stuff. But right now it's just not that important. What we're doing works fine. We've found 91 caches since May. We have 4 more we've looked for and DNF that we plan to get back to eventually.

Welcome to caching. Before you go find your first make sure it's something you really want to do. We thought we'd go looking once in a while and it would be fun. Well I enjoy it so much that I find I think about it often, I plan to look for caches when we go places, I spend time at work planning, and when I can't cache I get cranky. Our kids think we've lost our marbles. :D

Thanks for the tips!

I don't know what it is about this GPS but everything looks greek to me! I think mostly I'm afraid to just go out and try it (why that is I don't know!)

We're thinking about trying to find at least one this weekend. If it goes well I'm sure you'll see us on here a lot. And if it goes badly, you'll see our GPS for sale. aaaahahahhah!!

BTW if you want to test your GPSr stand in front of your house and when you have a good satellite lock, mark your spot. Then go to the store or something and let your GPSr guide you back home. It won't bring you back to the exact same spot you stood, but it should get you within 30 feet or so. If it doesn't, then there may be a problem with your set up.

edit for speeeling

Edited by Team Red Oak

I just started out last week with the same model. Manual entry is fine and your base map should do fairly well for you. As you get more comfortable with it you could look at using a sync cable and GSAK ( check geocaching.com's supported software ) to transfer local waypoints to your GPSr. That unit has 500 waypoints so I just loaded up the 400 or so closest to home - just because I am lazy.

Most of all just get out and play with it - it will start making sense. Keep in areas you know at least generaly until you get the hang of it though.

Have fun!

I'm pretty much a newbie too although I have quite a bit of computer experience so I was able to figure out how to load the co-ordinates into my legend and also onto my palm pilot.

This is a very helpful community and I'm sure if you posted your location a local geocacher would volunteer to spend some time with you showing you how it's done. It's really not that hard but man is it addictive.

That unit has 500 waypoints so I just loaded up the 400 or so closest to home

Just for both of your info, that unit is capable of storing up to 1000 waypoints if you down load the software updates from the Garmin update site. This may be a little bit too advanced for you to do as a begainer but after a few months after you get used to the unit you may want to give the update a try :D .

Make sure that the unit isn't in battery saver mode. Normal mode updates every 1 second. Battery saver mode only updates every 5 seconds. Usually, you won't notice much difference, but when you get close (<100ft) to the cache, it works MUCH better with the normal 1 second updates. Since the Legend doesn't have a built in compass, it determines what direction you are walking by comparing your location at the current update with that at your previous update. That is why more often updates allows for more precise navigation.

Also, since there is no electronic compass, don't stand in one place and turn in circles otherwise your pointer will show the wrong direction for the cache.

Also, be aware that your antenna is located just above your LCD screen so you should hold the Legend slightly away from your body with the screen facing up to maintain the best satelite signals.

Depending how far North you are, having WAAS enabled may not help you much since these satelites are located at the equator (fairly low on the Southern horizon).

Used correctly, the Legend's arrow will take you to the cache.

Hope these tips help.

Goodluck!

medoug.

Edited by medoug
....follow the arrow on the Legend until I'm within 50' of the cache.  At that point I switch over to the screen with the coordinates listed (the coords I'm at, not the target coords) and move around until I got the numbers to match those of the cache.

First and foremost, always enter the cache coordinates into your unit, even if you have to do this manually.  Do not try to wander around watching the coordinates on your unit change until they match the ones printed on the cache page.  This is a very painful way to hunt.

I would agree with Thot on this. The first time my brother-in-law went geocaching, he couldn't figure out how to enter the coordinates so he just watched the screen coordinates like VegasCacheHounds. He ended up crossing the same section of creek 4 or 5 times trying to find the cache.

Most people have better luck following the arrow. Hey, but go with whatever works for you!

medoug.

Edited by medoug
That unit has 500 waypoints so I just loaded up the 400 or so closest to home

Just for both of your info, that unit is capable of storing up to 1000 waypoints if you down load the software updates from the Garmin update site. This may be a little bit too advanced for you to do as a begainer but after a few months after you get used to the unit you may want to give the update a try :laughing: .

Any recently purchased Legend should have the latest software and 1,000 waypoints. Unless is was one that was sitting on the back of a shelf somewhere for a few years.

Hi, I use a Legend C, so I just thought I would mention the small pamphlet "quick start guide" that comes in the box. Take a look at it, the directions there aren't as overwhelming as the manual. Most of the manual can be ignored in the beginning anyway, cause you just don't need it to find a cache. Just get the waypoint for the cache in the unit, then click on "Go To". That's all you need to do in it's most simple form. You have plenty of time to learn about all the other stuff later. Don't Stress... in with the good air, out with the bad... BK :P