Ut Oh, Garmin Gpsr Drivers?

Having arrived in USA with all my caching prospects loaded into GSAK, I conencted my Garmin Map 60CS this morning to my new lappie and it asked for drivers to export the waypoints. I forgot to sort this before I left.

I have been to the Garmin website and d/l the drivers and installed them, however I am getting an error.

The only way I can share the view of the error with you is by uploading it to my blog. See the link below ... please can anyone make any suggestions, I am now thinking I'll have to enter them by hand which will take forever .....waaaaaaaaah!

Not sure if I'm on the right track as I have an Etrex Legend with a serial cable but I know it won't work unless I have the Legend's interface set to Garmin. Might be something like that?

Another issue I've noticed with other devices is that if you plug them into USB port 1 and instal them they don't work if you plug them into USB port 2. Worth a try also...dunno?

I presume you're on Windows XP:

- When you plug in the GPSr, do you get the "clink-doink" sound to say the PC has seen it ?

- If you press "Start", right click on "My Computer", select Properties, then the Hardware tab, and run Device Manager, do you have any yellow question marks, or any devices with errors ?

Ok, I am home, have been tinkering with the lappie and the Garmin and still no luck ... have removed, I think the drivers I downloaded and used the CD that came with the Gramin but to no avail, various errors but it seems that GSAK and the Trip & Waypoint Manager that come with the Garmin CD don't see the GPSr connected, nor does my pc.

Any further suggestions please?

Edited to add: will be in London from later Thursday for a few days, anyone work in central London who could fix for me please? Prepared to supply beer!

Edited by Dorsetgal & GeoDog

Ok, I am home, have been tinkering with the lappie and the Garmin and still no luck ... have removed, I think the drivers I downloaded and used the CD that came with the Gramin but to no avail, various errors but it seems that GSAK and the Trip & Waypoint Manager that come with the Garmin CD don't see the GPSr connected, nor does my pc.

Any further suggestions please?

Edited to add: will be in London from later Thursday for a few days, anyone work in central London who could fix for me please? Prepared to supply beer!

I'm not familiar with GSAK (unless it's an acronym I missed) but work in central London. I use a laptop and a 60CS so I may be able to offer some assistance. Thursday isn't good for me but might be able to look at it Friday lunchtime. My office is on the north of the river between Southwark Bridge and the Millennium Bridge - if that's any help there's a pub about 3 minutes walk away.

PM me an email address or cellphone if that's any use to you.

Another issue I've noticed with other devices is that if you plug them into USB port 1 and instal them they don't work if you plug them into USB port 2. Worth a try also...dunno?

Often this is because the COM port used on one USB port will not be the same as the COM port used on the second USB port (since it assumes the other one is still in use).

Are you using a serial-to-USB adapter? Or are you plugging it directly into the serial port?

----

As for the GPSMAP 60CS, I had this same problem happen recently with a different USB device though. I have about 12 USB ports on the desktop, and every USB port wants the drivers installed, though they've all found the drivers that had already been installed on the first and just recognize it after a few seconds. Good luck!

To my utter relief this problem was very ably and quickly solved by John of Team Tisri on 10th February. <_<<_<:P

Many thanks John, you have made my life a lot easier :)

As promised, I did supply the beer, shared some geocoins and also checked out the facilities for wheelchair users at the Samuel Pepys pub, where John is holding a cache event next month.

Facilities for wheelchair users were A1 ... no complaints at all. The pub has lovely views across the river and has a virtual cache only a stones throw away.

Oh, in case anyone is interested, the problem appeared to be that the drivers I thought I had installed were not recognised by my lappie and after eliminating all other causes, John installed the drivers from his own software that came with his Garmin. Hey presto! It worked!

Nice coincidence was discovered also ... John works for the company that raised money to sponsor a number of dogs from Dogs for the Disabled, one of those dogs is in fact GeoDog aka Caesar. Small world indeed. :P