Using Custom Maps

dino-irl

On the MM Website it states:

Memory-Map software can use digital maps supplied in a number of different formats. [....]

JPG, TIF, geoTiff, PCX, BSB - You can also import other map formats into Memory-Map. Some may need additional manipulation and georeferencing to work correctly.

Memory-Map Europe Edition also allows you to scan and geo-reference your own paper maps although you should check whether additional copyright approval is required.

Has anyone tried scanning their own maps and using them with MM?

How easy is it to do?

Are there any other programs out there that allow you to use your own maps from scans?

Yep, through the European edition there are several of us who have successfully made our own maps. See the qct files

here.

Its a pretty easy process. Just load the pic of the map in, go to map > calibration, and enter known co-ords and click on the right place on the map. You need at least 3 point to calibrate properly, but more is better.

T

Yep, through the European edition there are several of us who have successfully made our own maps.

Yep, a few days ago I'd never calibrated a map for Memory-Map. Now try and stop me, hehe. I calibrated "county" maps of Wales and Scotland very quickly and easily using basic map images which I found online.

It's great fun, and I will shortly be setting about scanning and calibrating maps of the European places we are heading to in June.

You can grab larger map images off multimap by adding to the end of the URL the following

&height=900&width=900

Then you can stich these bigger bit together and get yourself a nice map quicker :)

Calibrate the File using the European Ed of MM and then off you go :D

Do the UK OS Memorymaps work with the European Edition of MM or are they restricted to OS version?

They can do if you know how, OS MM maps usually only work with the OS edition, but the others function in OS OK. But if you run a little utility that removes the map restriction and the OS maps will then work on any edition.

Edited by Moote
You can grab larger map images off multimap by adding to the end of the URL the following

&height=900&width=900

Then you can stich these bigger bit together and get yourself a nice map quicker :D

That is the single most useful thing that I've heard on these forums - Only wish I'd known that before, It'd have saved me hours!!!

Thanks,

Bambi.

I had a go at stitching a load of multimap images together last night (made a 16000x16000 image of the area around Madrid, as I'm off there next month). They stuck together fairly well, but it looks like the tiles don't stick exactly together - they were off by about 2 or 3 pixels on each seam - but not consistently the same offset.

I'm sure there's some software out there to do the stitching automatically and match the edges for you...

Simon

Thanks for all the replies...lots of useful info there.

Does anyone have any tips or recommendations for scanning maps for use as described. Can't help but wonder how accurate it could be with those large unweildy maps?

Unfortunately the Mulitmap option ain't much good...the Irish problem once again :tired::(:blink: