Newbie Hiding A First Cache

Chester_Copperpot

Ok, so I'm a noob, and I don't have any problem admitting that.

So here's my question:

Is there any sort of Unwritten Rule about how long, or how much respect somebody has to have caching before they can start hiding caches of their own and have them be approved?

...Just started doing this, but already pretty pysched about hiding my own.

I do think it may be better to have some finds under your belt before hiding one, however having said that... a few of my favorite caches in my area were placed by almost complete newbies.

Just consider the following and you should be fine:

1. Bring me to some place interesting; a scenic overlook, little known about park etc.

2. Use a good cache container; ammo box, Lock & Lock, decon container.

3. Get the approval of the appropriate agency or land owner to place the cache.

4. Hide it well enough that muggles (non-cachers) won't discover it easily; within a hollow tree, under rocks etc.

5. Keep the contents safe enough for a 5 year-old to handle.

I think there are more guidelines in the tutorial but these are some things that I have seen overlooked by new hiders in my area.

I also believe that reviewers probably take a bit more time scrutinizing caches from folks they don't have some history with so be prepared for some questions and a bit of a longer wait for approval perhaps.

Have fun and thanks for contributing to geocaching!

Edited by Bill & Tammy
Is there any sort of Unwritten Rule about how long, or how much respect somebody has to have caching before they can start hiding caches of their own and have them be approved?

Some people suggest 20+ finds before hiding a cache. I disagree. If you have some imagination and the desire to create a good cache you are likely to do so. I've seen people with thousands of finds who place lousy caches and people with a handful of finds place excellent ones.

As far as approval, I'm sure the reviewers will give your submission a bit more scrutiny than they will to an experienced hider, but if all conforms to the guidelines, you should be fine.

Bill & Tammy give some great advice above. Follow that and your cache will be a good one. Also read and be familiar with the guidelines. Doing so will save you from having the cache that you worked so hard on turned down.

Hi, new to this, 10 finds, about to start hiding!

One question, most cachers put in a geocaching.com sheet for someone that stumbles across a cache.....please don't vandalise, log your visit etc.... Would it not be useful to have the Waypoint code on the cache so random finders would be able to go to the site log, leave a note.... But am I right in saying that a waypoint name is only issued after a cache is hidden, then submitted, then realised on the site?

Would it not be useful to have the Waypoint code on the cache so random finders would be able to go to the site log, leave a note.... But am I right in saying that a waypoint name is only issued after a cache is hidden, then submitted, then realised on the site?

It is useful to include it, but you are correct that it isn't generated until the cache has been submitted. You can submit the cache with fake coordinates, then uncheck the "yes, this cache is active box". That way you will generate the GC# and you can include it in the doc. I like to place it on the outside of the cache as well. Once you've hidden it, you can uncheck that box and update the coordinates and you're set.

Ok, so I'm a noob, and I don't have any problem admitting that.

So here's my question:

...Just started doing this, but already pretty pysched about hiding my own.

One of the best caches I have found was placed by someone who had only found a few caches before hiding "Valley Pillar via Quail Oasis."

If you have a great location for a cache, and it meets the guidelines, go for it . . . and thank you for hiding another cache for people to find. <_<