Geocaching For Presents

geoshelley

I was sitting here the day after Christmas wondering if anyone has ever hid Christmas or birthday presents and given the coordinates to the recipiant and had them find their presents?

If so did you just have them go to one place or to several before they received their gift????

blessings,

geoshelley

I tried this with my friend this year. Send an ecard w/coords. She hadn't checked her email for 2 days, and it was driving us NUTS. When she finally did, she called and said "thanks" for the ecard. She was so interested in the card (it was pretty funny/entertaining) that she didn't even notice the coords! Ugh! I had to ask her about the numbers, and she said "what numbers?" They went back and looked at the card, and they were there (I was worried for a bit). She plugged them into the GPS...0.3 mile from her house...hm...that must be how far it is between us! She and her son are heading over today to find it. The have to find a micro w/fishing line attached to it. The line loops around a few trees, until it reaches a hollow one w/a USA geocoin in it. Should be fun to watch them from the kitchen window!

Yep. Created a puzzle for the wife's birthday last year. Had her going all over hunting clues and coordinates until she found an easy cypher. It said, "look in back of van." I wasn't about to leave a couple hundred dollars worth of tools and a tool box just anywhere and it was raining. Still she had to hunt it!

Here is my post from another topic regarding me hiding Christmas presents over the weekend. Even after the slight panic, it all turned out well and everyone had a good time.

Ok, so yesterday morning the dog and I went out to hide the presents in the woods for the kids and hubby. Found 3 great spots. Saved the coords. Made a second loop to double check coords b/c I know it will be dark when these are found. Check the GPS, have decent accuracy. Dog and I sneak back in before anyone is out of bed to realize we were missing. Waalah, Mom has pulled it off!

Evening comes, it's time to surprise the kids. They are told that we have to go pick up presents from Grandma's house. The gifts are hidden on Grandma's property. On the way out Dad flips a coin and our daughter gets to be the first to find her present. "From under the tree?" she asks. (Parents giggle) "Uh-huh it's under a tree alright!" Take them out of the car, hand the flashlights and the GPS. Male child is extremely excited about his gift-cache, female child a little less excited, but manages to still see the good time to be had. We enter the woods. Female child is going in what Mom knows is the complete wrong direction. We check the GPS and something's not right. Anyone else ever seen their GPS skip (for lack of a better word. when your standing in one place then suddenly it moves several 100 feet?) So now I have 2 kids and the husband all waiting to find gifts, all three completely relying on me to remember exactly where they are hidden. Ummm, no one told me I had to remember where they were hidden, that's why I bought the flippin' GPS! I knew the general areas and approx whereabouts in relation to the trail entering the woods. Mind you, I hid some of their most expensive gifts out there. Found hubby's first. GPS got us in that general area and I was able to spot it very quickly. It was actually in the air on a very distinct tree formation. Still not good, still 2 kids without gifts. Mom begins to feel the panic coming on. An hour later we're down to 2 flashlights, a frozen husband, and a Mom who was doubting her memory when the last of the gifts were found! All in all we still had fun and will probably do it again next year. (in the daylight of course)

Most commonly used sentences in our home this Christmas:

Mr. G: And genius here couldn't remember where she hid the gifts!

Mrs. G: I did too remember, I just couldn't see where I remembered hiding them because IT WAS DARK!

Strange how geocaching changes so many aspects of your life. It's even improved Christmas...who woulda thunk?

Hope everyone had a great day!