Need Clarification On Adopted Cache

caylor

I recently adopted two cahes from The Artful Dodger - The Video Shop and The Jukebox.

The Jukebox had been archived because it was missing in 2003 and never replaced. I activated it again with a new cache and moved it to a new location. I offered everyone a new find on this one because of the new location.

The Video Shop was an active cache that needed replacing. I put out a new box with all new contents, but in the same location. Can I offer everyone a new find on this one?

Thanks, John

It's your cache.

If you wanted people to find it again, it would have been better to leave it archived and publish a new listing.

Option: delete thier previous find logs. Rocks will be thrown.

Option: finders post a second "found it" log. Some folks are fine with that, others will throw rocks.

Option: archive the other guys cache, submit your own listing. Fewer people will throw rocks.

Option: let it run it's course. those who found it before will only have the smiley from before (not two), those who find it in the future get a smiley also.

Edited by Moose Mob
The Jukebox had been archived because it was missing in 2003 and never replaced. I activated it again with a new cache and moved it to a new location.

If this is the case, it is a new cache and should be a new listing. Do not use an old online listing for a new cache in a new spot.

Jamie

Agreed. If it's a new container in a new location, that's a new cache. Why use an old cache page for it?

Archive it again and start a new cache. People will get a notification of a new cache and will find it.

Putting a note on the cache page saying it's okay to log again doesn't notify anyone.

For the Jukebox, I would have just archived it and created a new one. You have a new container in a new location, with a new owner, so its a new cache. Not even the old logbook remains from the original so I'm not sure of the point of keeping the old cache page alive.

As far as the Video Shop. Its just a new container in the same place so its the same cache hunt. As the owner you can do what you please, but because its the same cache hunt I doubt many locals would care to log another find on what is essentially the same cache.

Edited by briansnat

These are two themed caches. One is movie related and the other is music related. I did not want to create new listings because the ideas were not mine. They belong to Lawrence (The Artful Dodger) and I would be "stealing" his work if I created a new listing.

I adopted them because I thought they were very clever ideas and should continue to be available to the geocaching community.

John

If the cache has been moved to coordinates more than 100 feet from the old coords, I would allow people to log it as a new find because it is.

If it is in the same location, I would not allow people to log it as new find because it's not.

jamie

These are two themed caches. One is movie related and the other is music related. I did not want to create new listings because the ideas were not mine. They belong to Lawrence (The Artful Dodger) and I would be "stealing" his work if I created a new listing.

I adopted them because I thought they were very clever ideas and should continue to be available to the geocaching community.

John

I've found both and they were cool. The only thing is that there is nothing that remains of the Jukebox. Different container, different logbook, different location, so many here don't see the point of keeping the old cache listing alive.

The only reason I can see for doing so would be the unique cache page associated with the Jukebox cache. Artful Dodger was known for his very unique cache pages.

Anyway, both caches are back and now in good contition thanks to your efforts. Way to go!