Newbie Need Gps Help!

Hey folks i guess ill post my question here, you all seem to know a thing or two about the topic. Im brand new to this and am wondering what GPS unit is right for me? I found my first cache today and i dont even own one yet, i plan on using my unit for fishing, hunting and caching . I dont think i need a basemap because wont be using it for the highway, nore would i need a compass or altimeter. Im just looking for the basics under $200 bucks.Any help would be great.

I love my eTrex base model. Easy to use, plenty of waypoint room and no frills. It just works.

The best thing I did was to get National Geographic Topo! "Backroads edition" so I can see right where I'm headed before I have to go out and do it. IMHO even without topo or whatever, for 79-99 bucks new you can't go wrong.

We've had several Magellans and are happy with those. They have data screens for fishing and probably hunting but I don't use any of that. The mapping software imports maps right into your unit-- it's useful but pricey and unless there's a new version out, it's a little dated. That's about all I know about GPS's except that you are going to have a great time no matter what you get.

you can find a GPS that will suit your needs like the yellow for about $100.00,

But if you find yourself wanting to find lots of caches you might look into a basic maping unit, they will include a data cable for loading waypoints into your gps without mistakes and you will need the cable if there is a software update offer for the GPS. Two basic mapping units would be the Garmin legend or the Magellan explorist 210. of those two the explorist would be the better choice, it is a new model with more features that the Garmin legend. Explorist has 26mb of memory the Legend has 6mb of memory. The legend sells for about $140.00 on line and the Explorist sell for about $156.00 online.

i am not sure what lowarance has in your price range but I know they will also have somethin and I an sure IV X IV will have a sugstion.

Sometimes buying the least expensive gps is not the best way to go.

Edited by JohnnyVegas
of those two the explorist would be the better choice, it is a new model with more features that the Garmin legend. Explorist has 26mb of memory the Legend has 6mb of memory.

The Legend has 8MB (not 6) and has a proven track record. While the Explorist still boasts a lot more memory, it has a lot of BUGS in the software to contend with. I'd rather have a GPSr with limited features that works properly than a GPSr with lots of features that doesn't work right.

...Just my 2¢

an important consideration.

get one that uses regular AA batteries. The eXplorist Magellan line has a special battery.

You can get 4 AA rechargables with a charger for around $10. I'd have to be stuck in the woods without a way to charge and no extras. At least regular batteries are cheap and plentiful.

I think Circuit City's Legend C for $199 is a heck of a deal. Color screen, and the ability to take on detailed maps if you need them .... and you will once you start seeing how cool a GPS can be.

Example .... We visited our favorite micro brewery Weyerbacher and decided on trying Witch Brew Pub for lunch. They had a map ...but it was not that great. So .... FIND > ADDRESS > and a few keystrokes later... off we went using City Select on our Garmin Map 60 C. Mmmmmm Good Food & Beer!

:ph34r: ImpalaBob

get one that uses regular AA batteries. The eXplorist Magellan line has a special battery.

You can get 4 AA rechargables with a charger for around $10. I'd have to be stuck in the woods without a way to charge and no extras. At least regular batteries are cheap and plentiful.

Horse puckey. Let's set some things straight. I have two eXplorists. The eXplorist 100-300 use AA. The 400-600 use a lithium ion battery available for about $15 online at eBay or any store that sells cell phone batteries. You can buy the Motorola t720 battery and charge it up in a separate charger or in the GPSr and use it as a spare. See this topic.

I would still rather have a GPSr that uses AA batteries. We were out for many hours the other day. My Vista C normally goes for 12 hours on one set of Energizer Rechargeable batteries, but we ended up caching after dark for a few hours. With the use of the backlight, the batteries ran down and I had to change batteries a second time that day.

I always carry four extra charged-up batteries with me. In a real pinch, I can rob my camera, or my flashlight, for batteries for the GPSr.

I got the Energizer 15-minute charger, with four 2500 mAmp batteries for about $25.00. That is really, really convenient.

For the OP, you can't go wrong with the eTrex Legend. It has the cable to connect to your computer for downloading waypoints. Great unit available on amazon.com for about $135.00. :lol: